Pre-beginner need help!

Software: Prefab3D

katun, Newbie
Posted: 14 January 2015 11:10 AM   Total Posts: 6

Hi guys.

I have a 3D Flash animation developed with Away3D technologies, I know that because when I right-click on the animation it says something about Away3D.
But that’s all I know, it was made by someone else, and now I should change some text inside.
The text isn’t animated, but it was included inside of Flash.

So, I have a lot of folders which are full with .as files, some .fla, and also I installed Away3D and Prefab3D.
As I saw, Away3D is looking only for .awd files, which I haven’t, and Prefab3D have a long list of supported files but not .as nor .fla?!

Please, can someone show me the path to edit the source of this animation in order to change only few words without messing the rest of animation?
Thanks in advance!

theMightyAtom, Sr. Member
Posted: 14 January 2015 11:39 AM   Total Posts: 669   [ # 1 ]

Away supports many file types, the most common being .obj, .3ds
Try looking for the folder with those. The structure of the folders is arbitary and decided by the developer alone.
Is the text a 3d object, or do you think it may be a texture?
Look for .jpg or .png. Hopefully it’s just a matter of taking an image into Photoshop (or Gimp, if you’re on a budget wink), editing and recompiling.
Assets might be compiled into the project, or be loaded externaly at runtime.
If they have been embeded you will see a line like…

[Embed(source=“something.jpg”, mimeType=“application/octet-stream”)]

in the .as files. If not, and they are loaded at runtime, you shouldn’t even need to recompile. If you do have to recompile you will probably get runtime errors due to missing libraries. You need to add them to the project, and Flash will tell you what they are.

Good Luck!

katun, Newbie
Posted: 14 January 2015 02:18 PM   Total Posts: 6   [ # 2 ]

Thank you!

Unfortunately, I am not so lucky, so none of the JPG or PNG files contains text, also I found OBJ and 3DS files but having only 3D objects in it.
I found also some PFB and PFK files, do you know what stands for these extensions?
If isn’t in a 3D object, nor in background image… where else could be the text?

Posted: 14 January 2015 02:39 PM   Total Posts: 669   [ # 3 ]

THere are other image formats. Is it possible to link to the finished webpage? I think I can work out from there what the structure looks like.

Posted: 14 January 2015 02:40 PM   Total Posts: 669   [ # 4 ]

PS: will be offline now for some hours, but will try and help you out asap!

katun, Newbie
Posted: 14 January 2015 06:48 PM   Total Posts: 6   [ # 5 ]

Thank you for the offer to help me with this!
The link is: http://themokentree.org/

I should change the text from the left of the tree, “Help us get 100 000 people to sign our tree before December 31, 2014”, and the same text in “Read more” page.
But first I need to find it!
wink

room101, Newbie
Posted: 14 January 2015 09:15 PM   Total Posts: 14   [ # 6 ]

Glancing over the source file, it seems that the text you are looking for is in an XML file that is fetched via Json. if the text is the only thing you need, my current assumption is that the text is not part of, nor rendered by, Away3D, but instead just the plaintext that can be changed in any text editor. Do you by any chance have access to a file called manifest.XML in Assets folder? Or any XML files, assuming that you have access to the source of the website. My assumption is that the text you are looking for is indeed plaintext, so you can search for it with total commander, for example, you can search for a string like “December” and see if you get any hits.

katun, Newbie
Posted: 14 January 2015 09:26 PM   Total Posts: 6   [ # 7 ]

I found it!

It is a secondary SWF file which contains all the texts, and I edited with JPEXS and changed, but now I need to make it work with the main SWF file.
Even if the modified text looks fine in secondary SWF file, when I run the main SWF it show the old text.
It is possible that the secondary SWF to be precompiled and after that to be embedded into the main one?

room101, Newbie
Posted: 15 January 2015 12:45 AM   Total Posts: 14   [ # 8 ]

if you have the source of the secondary swf, then it’s just a matter of changing the text, recompiling, and overwrite the swf. The topology seems to be simple enough: You have a primary swf, inside which there is a small function that loads the secondary swf. The key is that it loads it from somewhere,  a location, where you as the website owner have access to. Just overwrite it with the new updated secondary swf.. If for some reason you don’t have the sources of the secondary swf, try an swf decompiler or something along those lines and manually reverse engineer the secondary swf, again, the assumption is that the secondary swf is very simple, it just holds some text, so reverse engineering it should be simple enough.

katun, Newbie
Posted: 15 January 2015 08:09 AM   Total Posts: 6   [ # 9 ]

I already tried to overwrite the secondary swf, but it looks like the main swf isn’t loading the modified version of secondary swf!
That’s why I question if it is possible to be precompiled, embedded inside the main swf, and compiled together?!

I have all the files including fla, for me the main issue is that I have no experience with Away3D and little experience with Flash technology in general. Also I am trying to fix the problem without investing in commercial software.
Until now, I managed to find the file which contains the text and to modify the text in that file using JPEXS Free Flash Decompiler, which worked well for me.
What I need to know now it is how these two Flash files are working together, it is loading each other subsequently or one is containing the other as an object.

room101, Newbie
Posted: 15 January 2015 07:41 PM   Total Posts: 14   [ # 10 ]

well, at this point your best course of action would be some plain old reverse engineering,  patience, and some breakpoints. grin
I understand that you may not believe me, but the chances that what you need is actually related to Away3D are asymptotic to zero. Example: if you right-click on the tree you see Away3D 4.1.4, but if you right-click on your actual text on your website you don’t see It in the context menu.
I would also recommend to try Stack exchange forum or some general flash related forum.
Lastly, make sure that your primary swf file is actually reading the updated secondary swf file, it is possible that your updated secondary swf file is sitting on your off-line testing environment, while the primary swf file is still reading the old secondary swf file from the online repository.

katun, Newbie
Posted: 15 January 2015 08:51 PM   Total Posts: 6   [ # 11 ]

Thank you!
I’m gonna try to follow your suggestions, can you recommend me a good Flash related forum?
And maybe a free fla editor?

room101, Newbie
Posted: 15 January 2015 09:37 PM   Total Posts: 14   [ # 12 ]

stack exchange is a good forum for pretty much anything
Adobe flash forum is also very helpful

I usually do action script projects in FlashDevelop http://www.flashdevelop.org/ or yo,u can try a 30 day trial with Adobe Flash cc or Adobe Flash Builder

you can try and Google or Bing for some more info

HTH

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X