New member saying Hi…

Software: Other

Mr Margaret Scratcher, Sr. Member
Posted: 14 June 2011 02:17 PM   Total Posts: 344

Hi there,

good to see the forum now up and running, just registered so I though I’d say hi.

I’m migrating over to away3d from papervision, which as a lot of you are probably aware, hasn’t been developed for a while, recently the forums went down, and now with the other 3d APIs supporting 3D acceleration it seems foolish for me to carry on developing and learning with it.

I started using papervision in order to create the website for my business, which is an online DVD rental company, starting off with a simple coverflow type gallery for the DVDs which I found online, then modifying that to make the flat images into actual DVD cases, and then I ambitiously decided to recreate a virtual version of the physical shop that we used to have, which you can see if you go here and click the TV icon on the top left hand side:

http://videoemporiumdelivery.co.uk
(Click and drag to look around, click on a dvd to go look)

Development on that went on hold due to performance issues - the room you can see works at an acceptable framerate on a half decent PC, but the back catalogue room, which holds around 5000 DVDs was causing even a top end machine to slow down to an unacceptable rate as you can imagine.

And that is, of course, where the Molehill enabled APIs step in, so I’m looking forward to migrating my code across and seeing it as I envisioned it .

It’s quite frustrating to be back at beginner level now after getting quite good with PV3D but looking forward to getting the hang of it.

Periplo, Newbie
Posted: 14 June 2011 04:19 PM   Total Posts: 3   [ # 1 ]

I understand, this was my last project pv3d
http://www.mircogiovannini.it
I am now at zero.
nice start!

Posted: 14 June 2011 04:27 PM   Total Posts: 344   [ # 2 ]

Very nice, I love the material-like deformation effect..

Jens Chr Brynildsen, Administrator
Posted: 14 June 2011 06:56 PM   Total Posts: 70   [ # 3 ]

Looking good! I didn’t have any performance issues though? I’m on a 1,5 yrs old MacBook Pro.

J

Posted: 14 June 2011 07:10 PM   Total Posts: 344   [ # 4 ]
Jens Chr Brynildsen - 14 June 2011 06:56 PM

Looking good! I didn’t have any performance issues though? I’m on a 1,5 yrs old MacBook Pro.

J

Yep, that’s because in that room (new releases) there is only 2 shelves of 20 DVDs, one shelf of 80 DVDs, and then another 20 on the counter, like I say, it’s the back catalogue room (which is not up online) where the performance drops, down to about 10fps depending on where in the room you are - at the top of a massive stack of DVDs (which ends up being probably about 20metres high for some sections) there will be about 2000 DVDs visible, and then of course the addition of the DAE of the room itself.

Like I say, really looking forward to migrating across and seeing it all work smoothly, especially with dynamic lighting etc..

Periplo, Newbie
Posted: 15 June 2011 10:06 AM   Total Posts: 3   [ # 5 ]

I saw the gallery.
very nice.
although I see some slowdown in framerate.
I hope that everything changes significantly with Molehill.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X