How to export objs for Away3D 4.0

Software: Away3D 4.x

Alex.R.Hogue, Newbie
Posted: 15 July 2011 07:19 PM   Total Posts: 3

Hey everyone. I’ve been loading my models externally since i started using 4.0 but I want to share some of my work with my friends and co-workers but for some reason when I try to embed my objs in my file i get a null reference error.  After struggling with this I opened up the OBJLoader.as that was provided with Away3D and simply switched the target .obj from the head to mine and it threw the same error.

So obviously I am exporting wrong but the problem is I don’t know how.  I’m using Maya currently but if someone knows how to fix this with 3dsMax or Blender I would be happy to switch.

Thanks so much

# Blender v2.58 (sub 1) OBJ File: ''
# www.blender.org
o Plane
v 5.000000 0.000000 
v 5.000000 0.000000 5.000000
-5.000000 0.000000 4.999999
-4.999998 0.000000 -5.000002
usemtl 
(null)
s off
f 1 4 3
f 1 3 2 

tcorbet, Jr. Member
Posted: 15 July 2011 10:26 PM   Total Posts: 31   [ # 1 ]

I am successfully using a workflow that starts in SketchUp (V8), exports using their OBJ format, successfully loads into Blender (V2.49a) and turns around [not using any Blender operations, merely using it because it seems to generate an OBJ format more to the Away3D liking than did SketchUp] and exports it using that OBJ format.

Having no expertise with the 3DSMax or Maya worlds [only using free, open source tools] I cannot provide any useful advice concerning the various options, but having spent a few hours in the OBJParser code to understand what was going on, these observations might be helpful to you because I think the null material will be problematic.

A.  When importing from SketchUp, I use the “Keep Vert Order” option.
B.  When exporting to Away3D, I use the “Material Groups” option.

The .obj and .mtl files that I then get do successfully pass the SketchUp material names through, making it pretty easy to read those source files and relate back to the original model development in SketchUp.

Choons, Sr. Member
Posted: 15 July 2011 11:08 PM   Total Posts: 281   [ # 2 ]

PreFab can be your best friend with problems like that. Try loading it in PreFab and be sure and check under Windows > Process Log to see what’s happening behind the scenes

Choons, Sr. Member
Posted: 16 July 2011 03:06 AM   Total Posts: 281   [ # 3 ]

also, not sure how you are loading it but that usemtl null line gave me problems in 3.6, try removing all those that occur in your file or else put a material and texture on your model in your 3d app before you export it

Alex.R.Hogue, Newbie
Posted: 18 July 2011 02:37 PM   Total Posts: 3   [ # 4 ]

The strangest thing is that if I load an obj external (with URLRequest) it works fine all the time.  But then trying to load the same OBJ by embedding it throws null errors.

Mr Margaret Scratcher, Sr. Member
Posted: 24 July 2011 07:57 PM   Total Posts: 344   [ # 5 ]

While trying to fix a mesh I came up with an odd problem, probably related - If I double clicked a .obj (I’ve got them that filetype associated with prefab) then prefab would open and then throw a #2032 error, complaining about the .mtl. However If import the model from the menu, it imports fine…

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X