Using Lua to control Away3d 4 Animation

Software: Away3D 4.x

jtopaz, Member
Posted: 15 July 2011 09:05 AM   Total Posts: 53

In order to control animation, I am thinking to use Lua (lua-alchemy) to control animation.
Does anyone have any experience?
Is Lua a good choice?

Thx

SasMaster, Sr. Member
Posted: 18 July 2011 10:15 AM   Total Posts: 127   [ # 1 ]

I think if this forum was the StackOverflow, your question would get several negative ones .wink .Because there is no connection between Away3D—Alchemy and Lua.Yes that is true that Lua is used in many C++ based game engines and framework to present a higher level of wrapping for the developer and ease his workflow.But Away3D is not C++ and it has not Alchemy branch (as far as I know) .So why on the earth you would use Lua. ActionScript 3.0 is a nice high level scripting language which gives you both convenience of use and robustness of a modern OOP language .

Signature 

This looks like a job for superman
http://blog.alladvanced.net

mmix7, Newbie
Posted: 26 October 2012 07:01 PM   Total Posts: 9   [ # 2 ]

http://code.google.com/p/lua-alchemy/

Only bumped it because I’m implementing this exactly, and have every intention of using LUA to manage game logic. Away3D handles the viewport and 3d manipulations fine. A custom function to control animations is so simple I could fart it out. So wanted to express my opinion in regards to the previously-final reply to this thread, which I think is not adequate in terms of… reality.

And, as to “why use lua in Away3D”, suppose you are targeting multiple platforms, not just flash web-browsers. Well LUA certainly has multiple benefits in that regard. Performance is the only TRUE concern, and at the moment for me, it is not.

Guten tag.

Fabrice Closier, Administrator
Posted: 26 October 2012 08:49 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 3 ]

That’s a spicy reply.
Usually when we have the choice between A and B we usually pick both when it benefits the API and our users.
I’ve looked into Lua a long while ago when “multiplatform” was basically win or mac, and found that actionscript was way more easy. Never really looked at it since.
However the game as changed, and if Lua could ease production (actually I’m pretty sure it does in many cases), I see no reason why we should not look at a way to ease the “connection”.
So mmix7, if you have something to share or anything to propose in that regard, please drop me a mail at fabrice3d at gmail dot com.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X