Will there ever be an update?

Software: Away3D 4.x

therealloft, Member
Posted: 01 December 2016 12:28 AM   Total Posts: 65

seems like we have all waited for what seems years for an update on the actionscript 3.0 version of away3d and with all the cool features adobe is now adding to the runtime such as async texture uploading, instanced drawing etc. it would be nice to see these added, as well as fbx file support and deferred rendering. Part of me thinking of starting my own engine based off away3d’s, and redesigning the whole thing from scratch as i feel this engine really is starting to die.

O_MEGA, Newbie
Posted: 01 December 2016 05:34 PM   Total Posts: 26   [ # 1 ]

U are totally right it makes Away3D fans to feel sad inside when they see AS3 version of the engine has not been updated for a quite long time, How could we Contact Rob?( I tried it several times but received no reply)
I also contacted Chris Campbell he told me he will make contact with Rob but then there was Silence! I could not reach Chris scenic then.

And as you mentioned all the fans of this engine willing to see an update for it, we all know that there are some pretty cool features added by Adobe but we see not update in Away3D!!!

therealloft, Member
Posted: 01 December 2016 07:56 PM   Total Posts: 65   [ # 2 ]

yeah last time i spoke to rob was oct last year saying something about invoicing issues with adobe being the main reason for lack of development. so they had to concentrate on paid work. i mean if away3d is struggling with money why not open an asset store like unity3d and unreal doe’s it be perfect way to add additional funds to the project. but i really fear for the future of this project i would not like to see it die :(

O_MEGA, Newbie
Posted: 01 December 2016 08:19 PM   Total Posts: 26   [ # 3 ]

We can Only be hopeful for brighter future, I still believe we have to share ideas with Rob. it is confusing why Adobe does not raise the funds for this project?
Or why they don’t do something similar as u suggested!

I think they should raise the funds and tried to target mobile devices more aggressively there are videos from 5 or 6 years ago which shows demo applications built with Away3D, Do they use the engine to make games,etc?

maybe by selling games across the globe they can earn enough for this project.

Why Rob and his team don’t do that?

and here is a personal question,
I always wondered why there is no place that people could do online coding with this engine and share their experiences together? a place like “www.wonderfl.net”

I’d like to thank “Fabrice Closier” it seems he is the only core member who regularly pays visit to this forum, yet he also doesn’t make any comment about the future of the Engine!

therealloft, Member
Posted: 01 December 2016 08:51 PM   Total Posts: 65   [ # 4 ]

i would also like to thank fabrice closier for the same reason. i know the majority of the team have not logged in for months last time rob was online was 364 days ago, so not expecting to hear from him, most of the dev work seems to be going to javascript version of the engine, trying to please everyone i suppose

Fabrice Closier, Administrator
Posted: 01 December 2016 10:30 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 5 ]

Thanks guys smile

“yet he also doesn’t make any comment about the future of the Engine!”
wow wow, I just see this post m8!

K, as you push, let me to add my grain of salt:

The development of the engines are under the away foundation.
The development of away3d AS3 is on hold waiting for some new features
developed for the TS/JS version to get back to it.
That’s what I know. I am not involved in the TS or OpenFL development.

Most of the developers of the AS3 engine are no longer active for different
reasons. Mainly work activities, as most are freelancers, also because they moved on to other techs.
Some of the original authors like Greg and Rob are still active and gave you the openFL version of the engine and the TS/JS one, that is under dev as we speak.
As a matter of fact, Rob posted me full js builds yesterday that I hope be able to test/use soon… So there is activity smile

For my part, as time went by, being freelancer full time for almost 5 years now,
I have meanwhile continued dev the engine for my own purposes, as unlike many, I do use it daily for my client work (mainly AIR and JS) and the development of my own tools, like Prefab3D.
For these, the engine needed some modifications and a good dose of new features. Because AS3 is no longer for me the only source of income, I worked on let my apps evolve to spit out usable code, exchange content, anims etc.. that I can use for project using away3d, three.js etc.. say a more generic 3D use in general.
Once and If the as3 version gets the update that its supposed to get, I’ll see to port some of my features and add it back to it.

Meanwhile, I do and will continue manage the forum as much as I can, (you’d be amazed at how many spammers and other commercial smart asses I need kick out these days) and of course try if I can to answer/help.
I was involved with Away3D since days one, so yeah, I feel you guys and I understand perfectly the frustration, trust me on that…

That having said.
Where are the links to the nice things you guys do? If you moan so hard, there must be some serious Away3D coolness out there that I would love to see!

therealloft, Member
Posted: 01 December 2016 10:44 PM   Total Posts: 65   [ # 6 ]

i have to dig out some of my projects from the past. i always end up giving up due to animation system in the engine its really hard to find a decent plugin for blender or studio max to export md5 animations these days. i feel if fbx animation support albeit asci or binary versions would help massively. speed up the one main frustration i have, most what i been “moaning” about really is some things on my wishlist i will either add them myself but be nice to see an official release with these added. i did take some screen shots of projects and uploaded then to the forum main one being a voxel engine with multithreaded physics and mesh generation.

FRITZ, Newbie
Posted: 27 July 2019 07:32 AM   Total Posts: 1   [ # 7 ]

Decent, need to accomplish something like this with mine.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X