Future of AWD Format: Will ATF be supported any time soon?

Software: Away3D 4.x

rdoi, Member
Posted: 05 December 2014 01:20 PM   Total Posts: 86

In our current project, we are using a AWD based structure with a hacked AWDParser to load back Away scenes.

Our next step would be embedding a ATF bytearray in a custom block, and improve the current material parsing to support it.
Till now, we were avoiding breaking the compatibility with the original format but it started becoming unmanageable.

So the question here is: Is there any plan to improve the AWD handling (and maybe update the AwayBuilder) anytime in the near future?

How could we help in this matter?

Fabrice Closier, Administrator
Posted: 05 December 2014 02:01 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 1 ]

Not involved in awd or AB dev, so can’t answer on that.
I do not see why you would need to modify the way it’s parsed to add this functionality. Simply add a block “ATF”, where you specify, id mesh, subgeom index, bytes and texture type. Your parser will then just need to create the texture, material and assign to mesh/geom.
The diff is only in the way you feed the encoder.

If the functionality is added in encoder(ab) and parser, you will then no longer need to use a custom code to encode. If you need backwards compatibiliy , parsing your old custom awd will simply imply that you add the custom block in newer parser. If you modify the logic, bytes order per native block, you will have to reimplement each new update…

rdoi, Member
Posted: 05 December 2014 04:56 PM   Total Posts: 86   [ # 2 ]

Hi there,

Having the away3d opensource, I do understand we can implement any feature or change we needed. Well, its been a while since I’ve seen the awdparser code, but I believe I can manage to make it work.

The point is that, our current implementation and workflow still rely on the awd interoperability, to export models from Max, adjust things in AB or Prefab, load in our application scene, make changes, and then saving to awd again.

I am just wondering if the dev team have anything planned about it so that we could hold our implementation to compatilize with the official one and keep the original workflow, and save some man-time.

To be sincere, my main concern is related to the framework future itself.

By the way, we are looking forward for the next prefab version.

Fabrice Closier, Administrator
Posted: 05 December 2014 11:03 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 3 ]

‘By the way, we are looking forward for the next prefab version.’

I’ve added a few lines of code in past weeks…
Just a small screen shot of some of the new things I worked on… wink

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X