Mac render issue: black spots from light sources

Software: Away3D 4.x

Synsim, Newbie
Posted: 16 April 2013 06:10 PM   Total Posts: 4

Hello, here’s a bug, which bothers me for quite some time, since I upgraded to Away3D 4.0.11.
The thing is that in my project on some Macs (several Macs notebooks at least) Away3D renders 3D scene incorrectly. Specifically, objects have undesired solid-black regions on them, which depend on current camera position, i.e. those black spots are moving when camera moves (see screenshots). The same swf looks correct under Windows (both via DirectX and OpenGL). Search through forums and bugbase yielded this more-less similar bug (http://away3d.com/forum/viewthread/2500/#7741 and https://github.com/away3d/away3d-core-fp11/issues/221). Only that one was related to shader’s alpha calculations and appears to be fixed.

Unfortunately, I don’t have unlimited Mac access, nor want to dig dip into the shaders code, but was able to discover experimentally that this bug is related to main pass lighting calculations - if I remove lights from scene (and lightpicker), it goes away. But it’s there again as soon as at least one light source is added.
Another weird thing about the issue is that it doesn’t manifest itself when standard Away3D examples are compiled and run on the same hardware. Sure, I use Away3D engine somewhat differently than examples do, because of their toy nature. In my case, after View3D initialization a bunch of models and other assets are loaded, 3d objects constructed and added\removed to the scene, along with lights, at different moments. Nevertheless, I failed trying to construct simple bug-reproducing test, and my project is commercial and rather complex, what’s why I don’t post concrete code, sorry about that.
I’d be infinitely thankful for any help and suggestions.

Mac screen#1
Win screen#1
Mac screen#2
Win screen#2

(More screenshots in attachment)

File Attachments
Mac_render_issue.zip  (File Size: 748KB - Downloads: 440)

mole, Newbie
Posted: 18 September 2013 08:44 AM   Total Posts: 29   [ # 1 ]

I’m experiencing the same problem. Was this ever fixed?

Synsim, Newbie
Posted: 18 September 2013 04:45 PM   Total Posts: 4   [ # 2 ]

I don’t know exactly, last time I checked (seems in Away 4.1 beta) the bug was still there. I managed to get around this problem in my project with self-illumination materials and lighting baked to textures, i.e not using lights at all.

By the way, I was able to reproduce the problem on iPad 3 via AIR.
I thought this issue was specific to interaction of my code and Away3D code, but if you got it too, we should probably post a bug report to Git. Maybe you have simple test code which reveals the bug?

Rayen123, Member
Posted: 23 October 2013 06:02 PM   Total Posts: 70   [ # 3 ]

Hi,
I have the same problem with this…

I created a topic with this problem but nobody answer.
viewthread/4581/

This is very bad bug for me :/

Thanks for help

Jarzac, Newbie
Posted: 12 November 2013 12:20 PM   Total Posts: 6   [ # 4 ]

Hello,

I don’t know if you have found a work around yet, but I had the same issue and found my answer here : http://away3d.com/forum/viewthread/4808/

It seems that putting MAX_NUMBER to the fall off and radius values of the lights will cause this behavior on ATI graphic cards.
Simply leaving these values to their default will do.

Hope it helps,

‹‹ Meny warnings

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X