ASD geometry data files not working from 2.139

Software: Prefab3D

jpro, Newbie
Posted: 23 January 2013 10:15 PM   Total Posts: 5

We have been using ASD (Away3d 4.0) geometry files successfully for a few months now. With the 2.139 release, our app can no longer load ASD meshes. What has changed with ASD meshes with this new release?

I still have the previous release, 2.136, on a second computer; it is working fine writing the same meshes that now fail.

Fabrice Closier, Administrator
Posted: 24 January 2013 08:44 AM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 1 ]

Asd files got fatter! 4 bytes has been added for every similar exports as before. This little addition allowed me to add support for secondary uvsets and few other things.
That’s why your app doesn’t understand them. That doesn’t mean that you have to redo anything. To fix your app, simply export something as AS3 from Prefab, and replace your old ASDReader class with the new one that comes with the outputs.
To reedit your files, nothing has changed either. Prefab 2.137 and higher will reload new and previous asd’s as usual. However older Prefab will not load these new files (but you know this by now).

If the replacement of the reader would not fix your issue, please provide me 1 or 2 asd’s so I can test. I have taken great care at not breaking existing projects. If that would be the case, I want to repair this asap.

Either ways, let me know how it goes.

jpro, Newbie
Posted: 24 January 2013 02:28 PM   Total Posts: 5   [ # 2 ]

Thanks, Fabrice. I am creating the assets, so I will have to point my developers to your comments. I doubt they will want to alter the app at this particular point in time, as we have just gone live with a new app, and that would be a dicey prospect.

I haven’t seen any comprehensive release notes as new versions of PreFab have been made available. Do you have a set of release notes per build somewhere that I have not yet found? I would like to know of big changes like this before deciding to update.

Also, do you have a repository of older builds somewhere, in case I need to revert again in the future?

Thanks.

Posted: 24 January 2013 02:54 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 3 ]

I do not see any complexity of danger of replacing this one class by the updated one. and add a new package name if you use another structure than the outputs. You can add suffix _old to previous class in case of…. but I leave that to you. You know now why newer files do fail with the previous reader class.

The release notes have been made in the form of posts on this very forum. Usually happends every 2 to 3 updates. Where significant changes or improvements have been made or bugs fixed. I’m busy when I have moments of freetime (near of null lately) redoing prefab’s site. These notes will be added there once its done, same for previous versions.

I’m really curious to see what you guys did with a little help of Prefab and our baby Away3D. Don’t forget send us some details about the project and/or submit it to our showcase!

jpro, Newbie
Posted: 24 January 2013 03:46 PM   Total Posts: 5   [ # 4 ]

I’ve forwarded your remarks to our developers.

I don’t see the note in this forum that this non-backward compatible format change was made with the 2.139 release. Would you please point me to that post? I need to get this info before updating PreFab, and must be looking in the wrong place. Thanks.

Posted: 24 January 2013 04:05 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 5 ]

Touché! smile I see I forgot mention it explicitly, as exporting LightMaps to AS3 do imply the update of the asd’s…
Next update. I’ll add a post and add more infos about the changes made in past updates pushed recently.

jpro, Newbie
Posted: 24 January 2013 04:12 PM   Total Posts: 5   [ # 6 ]

thanks, but for the life of me, I can find no release notes at all for 2.139. Would you please point me to that post? I must be blind.

Posted: 24 January 2013 04:50 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 7 ]

That’s because due to the massive update described here
http://www.closier.nl/blog/?p=159,
I have released four updates in a row this week (135, 136, 137 & 139) to adress issues that were reported. Next update will also resolves a series of minor issues, such as AS3 projectclass import faulty or missing, behaviour api fixes, grid non functioning, mesh renaming etc… but will post a list of changes when I’ll push it. I have answered several threads here on the forum related to latest updates, made anouncement on Prefab’s twitter, here too a long one http://away3d.com/forum/viewthread/3835/ a week ago.

Now that the big changes are made and most known “important enough” issues fixed, the cycle of updates will return to normal.

jpro, Newbie
Posted: 24 January 2013 05:08 PM   Total Posts: 5   [ # 8 ]

okay, thanks. I’ll have to delay using these new features beyond 2.136, due to bad timing with our app, but look forward to future improvements.

Please do consider the need for a very specific, very clear, very public announcement when non-backward compatible format changes are made, and keep working on that repository of previous releases. smile

Cheers.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X