How to create a animated mesh that will work in Away Builder

Software: Away3D 4.x

asherritt, Newbie
Posted: 10 February 2014 05:07 AM   Total Posts: 14

I’m having great difficulty figuring out how to create a mesh that can be animated in Away Builder like the one at http://awaytools.com/awaybuilder/tutorial-03/

I’ve tried various examples and exporters for both Maya 2014 and 3DS Max 2014. Nothing has worked so far. Documentation is very fragmented with many of the solutions being years old, which leaves me to wonder if they are even compatible with the latest Away3D.

Please help your community.

What is the most current and recommended way of creating an animated mesh with a skeleton, and exporting it into a format that Away Builder can work with?

tokyotoys, Newbie
Posted: 21 February 2014 12:58 AM   Total Posts: 2   [ # 1 ]

Hello, i somehow have the same problem, but i got really close with the tutorial you are suggesting. I used > Blender > export to md5 > import into away builder > export as awd format - but the mesh is somehow rendered as a weird triangle overlay.

Something that worked for me was not setting an “Animator” for the mesh but rather leaving that se to “Null”. The “Animation” panel, on the left side of the screen, should only cantain the skeleton and the animation you wish to export.

The 3ds max workflow did not work for me. Can someone please be so kind and post a working workflow? Or at least specify what settings one can use to avoid incompatibility between files?

Thank you very in advance.
A.

asherritt, Newbie
Posted: 21 February 2014 06:34 PM   Total Posts: 14   [ # 2 ]

I was able to get the 3DS Max 2012 workflow working using the AWD file format plugin, but it can be hit and miss. It will ONLY work with 3DS Max 2012, not earlier, and not more recent versions. I had to try a few times before animation would work. I’ll try it out a couple more times and post the steps. It bothers me that the only work flow in place is over 2 years old.

tokyotoys, Newbie
Posted: 21 February 2014 09:07 PM   Total Posts: 2   [ # 3 ]

I don’t know about you guys but it was a great help for me opening up the awd from the example files in Away Builder just to see how the file is structured and then building my own file according to it.

80prozent, Sr. Member
Posted: 30 June 2014 09:08 PM   Total Posts: 430   [ # 4 ]

for 3dsmax, there is a newer plugin available now:

https://github.com/awaytools/AwayExtensions-3dsmax/releases

Signature 

sorry…i hope my actionscript is better than my english…

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X