Exporting model with animation as AS3

Software: Prefab3D

Thomas Weiss, Jr. Member
Posted: 23 March 2013 09:01 AM   Total Posts: 35

Hello,

Me again! smile
In my quest to find the best way to import in Away3D a scene as previewed in Prefab3D (so including meshes, materials, maps, methods and animations in a single ‘step’), I’m currently evaluating Prefab3D ‘export as AS3’ feature.
I’ve open the ‘PolarBear’ model from Away3D’s examples, set its maps to its single material, and tried to export it with the following parameters:
- targeting 4.0
- including animators

It basically works very well as the test project that was generated could compile immediately and display the scene with the correct rendering and playing back an animation.
I’ve still have some remarks and questions:
- during the export, 2 additional materials were created as duplicate of the initial one, and it seems that the initial material got somewhat altered (its sphere preview shows the blank tiles),
- also, the model disappeared from the viewport ; this probably has to do with the material changes as I just had to re-affect a material to it to make it come back,
- the exported animation doesn’t look exactly like the initial (skeletal) one and I guess that this comes from the conversion to vertex anim ; is there a way to fine-tune this? And is there any ETA for the support of skeletal anim export?

Prefab3D is overall a great and essential tool that is obviously a key component in the Away3D workflow, thanks again for providing this to the community!

Thomas

Fabrice Closier, Administrator
Posted: 23 March 2013 03:43 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 1 ]

The conversion is automated when a skeleton animator is selected. During convertion an extra material is generated because you cannot share the materials for animators. Indeed it should be catched but because it will change in near future when skeleton to AS3 will be added, I will not spend time on this till then.
In next update the conversion will be added to the player, so you will be able to tweak the animation converted via the vertexAnimation editor. The current automation also has a default of 10 frames per sec, as a result if animation is rich, it may miss important keyframes, and vertexanims have same duration. So you may need to adjust playback speed. Again, next update will ease this process/flow, as for now, you would need first to export as md2, reimport the md2, edit and finally export as as3.

Glad to hear that Prefab is useful to you!

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X