Problem with Hierarchy Panel / Container functionality

Software: Prefab3D

Phil Webster, Newbie
Posted: 23 August 2012 12:26 PM   Total Posts: 8

Hi guys, using the Hierarchy Panel I’m trying to add meshes into containers but am struggling to work out exactly how.

I’ve opened an AWD file exported from 3ds max 2012 which contains 8 meshes and using the Hierarchy Panel I’ve created 4 empty containers (by clicking ‘add container’).

How do I group my individual meshes into containers of my choosing - is this possible?  The interface seems to suggest I can do this, but I’m not exactly sure how as all it seems to allow me to do is create empty containers, delete them and rename them.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Phil

David Mosemann, Newbie
Posted: 27 August 2012 07:02 PM   Total Posts: 18   [ # 1 ]

I too was wondering about this. As far as I can tell at the moment I can only use the Hierarchy Panel as a reference and not actually move meshes into containers… which would be superb if I could since I haven’t found a way to “fake” containers in 3DS max so they show up as containers in Prefab on import.

Is anyone else having issues with the Hierarchy panel?

Fabrice Closier, Administrator
Posted: 27 August 2012 07:41 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 2 ]

Idea is indeed to be able to move meshes in and out of containers.

I’m just back from vacation and my focus was to fix a few AS3 export issues first that were reported while I was away.

The update 2.124 pushed today adresses these. And while at it, I’ve added a Skybox generator. You can (re)edit and export the skybox as AS3 too.
Also now you can type the color directly into the respective property color textfields to see color changes. An improved color picker is also on the todo.

Anyway, the mesh/container swap in hierarchy panel will be added in a not so far future. wink

Phil Webster, Newbie
Posted: 31 August 2012 01:25 PM   Total Posts: 8   [ # 3 ]

Thanks Fabrice - good luck with the development of the hierarchy panel grin

edi_csa, Newbie
Posted: 04 October 2012 01:21 PM   Total Posts: 6   [ # 4 ]

hi..

About hierarchy.. is it possible to hide any mesh?? i do not see any possibility.

thx for any answer

Posted: 04 October 2012 01:43 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 5 ]

its on object property panel. select one mesh, set visible to false.

a side note: with 1.125, as requested, you can now drag meshes from a container to the other using the dragcross on mesh row in hierachy panel.

edi_csa, Newbie
Posted: 04 October 2012 01:54 PM   Total Posts: 6   [ # 6 ]

thx much Fabrice, just found this option.. but in my opinion it does not work correct. or maybe i am wrong.. if object is invisible check box should be checked or not?/ is checked yellow circle?/

Posted: 04 October 2012 02:28 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 7 ]

Yes you right. But see, I’m busy looking at doing better than this, like having dedicated shaders for debug, ghost (for lock) etc…
It will all make sens once its added.

If you are new to Prefab, just know that instead of releasing once every year like most app do, I do push updates as I go. Sometimes several times a week, depending on available time.

I do keep notes of all inputs/remarks/critics/wishes/bugs that I get either via forum/mail/from the app report. I do try to push as much as I can in there when the time is right.

So please, keep comming with your inputs!

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X