Linear Guy VS Path Animator

Software: Prefab3D

Wucka, Newbie
Posted: 18 July 2012 05:17 PM   Total Posts: 23

Hello all,

I am trying to create a fly through type deal with prefab. I know that path generator and animator is not in this version, or I am very blind.

I am curious if anyone has been able to recreate a path animation through the linearGuy. I can create numerous changes in x, y, and z in order to get the object to move, but not nearly as accurately without the path there to guide my movements. Do I need to just log the change I want and apply numerous linearGuys in order to achieve a path animation by creating each node individually?

Thanks for any advice,

Wucka

Fabrice Closier, Administrator
Posted: 18 July 2012 10:07 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 1 ]

Next update of Prefab, will be focus on improved animations exports, and of course make sure that exports as3 are in line with 4.0.
After this update, I’ll continue reimplement older features such as Path edits and related features with the latest Away updates. A path guy is on the todo and will receive its data from the path data stored. Pretty much same way as in V1 for path animation. The linear guy does what it is ment to do: doing linear things! You could simulate curves using the tween equivalent or indeed chain a series of properties, but not as accurate and complex as with path data. It would also not be very flexible for changes.

The “Guys” api, (which will probably get a new name soon), is in very early stage, and I would be very interrested to hear what you think about it, what you would like to see it doing, if the export are usefull enough etc…

Wucka, Newbie
Posted: 19 July 2012 01:41 PM   Total Posts: 23   [ # 2 ]

Fabrice,

Good to know. I know you guys are working very hard on prefab and the results have been great. The way that path v1 things work was so smooth and clean, I can’t wait to see what you guys come up with for the v2. Many props to you guys for the hard work.

Wucka

Wucka, Newbie
Posted: 19 July 2012 05:20 PM   Total Posts: 23   [ # 3 ]

Not to bug you Fabrice, because I know you are heard at work, but is there a eta on the path stuff being put into prefab v2.

I tried running the model I want to use in v1 and it bogs it down to the point where it barely moves and is choppy. V2 is a big upgrade as far as that for me and handles large complex models much better, so I was just wondering a timeframe on when that may get put in.

Thanks,

Wucka

Fabrice Closier, Administrator
Posted: 19 July 2012 08:59 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 4 ]

Next update will first adress exports (to ensure as3, as3 with animations exports, md2 exports and awd2 are perfectly sync) among lots of other little details under the hood.

Then as said before, I will then gradually reintroduce previous features. path and path related is a big one. if you use only one aspect of it, it might look small, but there are lots of classes and ui linked/related to these. To make you happy a bit, lets just say, I have already started…

As you know we just have released 4.0 and not only it was for us a very busy past month, but if you look at the forum activity, you will see lots of people need help to get started with the latest api’s. There for, I have/had a bit less time per day to focus on Prefab.

That having said, regarding your project being too heavy for flash 10. You can of course proceed differently.

One option, very easy to do:
What if you take in prefab 2 a snapshot of you model with the camera drop down set at top. then use this snapshot as texture in Prefab 1 placed on a plane (using primitives generator). Set the plane dimensions to same size of your model or in ratio before start define your path.

Second option in case you need the Y information:
Place in your model in Prefab2 add one cube using the primitive generator and then copypaste it so it does represent/fit the bounds of each important part (or meshes) in your model where you want to have path information. You simply need to drag them to mesh positions and play with scales. Then select the cubes and merge them. Finally select the cubes merged. export as obj or awd1 (selection only). Load this model in Prefab1 to edit your path. as they are in fact representing a low res version of your model, Prefab 1 should not have problems to render it. Note here that you could project the map of case 1 on this lowres mesh using the uv editor to help you get a better sens of your environment.

I know this is not ideal. In fact that’s why I wrote this path editor in the first place, as I was tired to proceed this way. But it works and requires just few minutes of extra work.

Wucka, Newbie
Posted: 19 July 2012 09:24 PM   Total Posts: 23   [ # 5 ]

Thanks for the response Fabrice. I completely understand what you are saying about 4.0. The work you guys are doing is not unnoticed. I did not mean to come across as pushy, just some deadline pressure coming up so an idea of timing on some of the tooling you guys offer is appreciated.

That is a good idea with the projected image on a plane. I have been coming up with some crazy ideas on how to recreate v1 path generator, but yours is a bit less complicated then what I came up with.

Thanks for all the hard work and for the quick response as always,

Wucka

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X