Sound-off - how are people implementing GUIs in their games?

Software: Away3D 4.x

DinkMcDinkleman, Newbie
Posted: 10 June 2012 11:53 PM   Total Posts: 30

Hi all,

Hopefully I’ve chosen the most appropriate place to post this.  I’d like to know what libraries, if any, people are using for game GUIs.  I recently tried to merge Starling with Away3D with no success, and wondered what people have seen success with.

Thanks!

Shegl, Sr. Member
Posted: 11 June 2012 04:47 AM   Total Posts: 134   [ # 1 ]

I’m using alternativa3d GUI. Like it. And Source & Apache License available

DinkMcDinkleman, Newbie
Posted: 11 June 2012 04:51 AM   Total Posts: 30   [ # 2 ]

Shegl - is it GPU accelerated?  How easy is it to skin?

Shegl, Sr. Member
Posted: 11 June 2012 05:14 AM   Total Posts: 134   [ # 3 ]

No =(. It’s not accelerated yet. But it’s very easy to skin.

Btw: I want accelerated GUI too :D

DinkMcDinkleman, Newbie
Posted: 11 June 2012 06:00 AM   Total Posts: 30   [ # 4 ]

Have you tested AlternativaGUI’s mobile performance on Android and iPhone?  If so did it do well?

I personally found the documentation to be a bit lacking and difficult, though the end result looks amazing.  Thanks for the response!

Shegl, Sr. Member
Posted: 11 June 2012 07:25 AM   Total Posts: 134   [ # 5 ]

Yeah documentation quite small. And TextInputs are utf8 - utf16 support it’s very cool for me, auto embeds fonts if u wish. Lod buttons and easy to manage view of elements.

I test perfomance with Away3d + A3D GUI at HTC Desire. 60/60 fps with 2D alpha overlay of 3D.

Open their SWC with WinRar to take src.rar(source) archive.

And u need install the Default Theme of A3D GUI to view in way what u did see, cause source have only engine code.

In my case im just redraw images of default theme and get cool GUI :D

Ivan Moreno, Newbie
Posted: 11 June 2012 06:40 PM   Total Posts: 22   [ # 6 ]

Hey there!

There is a demo using Genome2D, but the request was already made by the author of the demo to the Away3D team. You can search for the thread 1928 in this forum or the issue 236 in github (Sorry for not giving the links, but the forum thought that I was spamming and got bored of trying)

In the meantime you can still use the display list as usual, but try to catch everything as bitmap to speed up a bit the performance in mobile devices.

Best.

Richard Olsson, Administrator
Posted: 16 June 2012 11:41 AM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 7 ]

There’s currently being work done on creating an integration of Away3D and Starling (and other 2D GPU frameworks) which would let you create GPU accelerated GUI/HUD graphics in your game. You can track this feature here: https://github.com/away3d/away3d-core-fp11/issues/236

‹‹ Thank You

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X