True wireframe material

Software: Away3D 4.x

amcc, Newbie
Posted: 15 December 2011 05:38 PM   Total Posts: 10

There seem to be a few people who’ve shown interest in this as well - there seems to be a working version by 80prozent here:
http://away3d.com/forum/viewthread/975/

but i can’t find any way of doing this other than the bitmap generator version which is great for debugging but looks ugly if its the wireframes themselves you want to show.

DeAnimator, Newbie
Posted: 24 October 2012 02:43 PM   Total Posts: 2   [ # 1 ]

For a pet project of mine I created class that takes a mesh and returns a wireframe mesh built from SegmentSets.

That’s fine, but you can end up with a very busy mesh as every edge is traced which shows up all the tessalation that has been applied. Useful for debugging though.

I added in an option to do planar edge removal, so a flat n-gon which has been split into many triangles is displayed as a simple outline. Looks much cleaner.

You can see it in action here on some very simple models:
http://www.codejuggler.com/clients/elite/EliteShips.html

Click on the Elite logo to see other ships from the BBC game. Apologies for the huge size of the images, it runs on the iPad 3.

If anyone is interested in the class, let me know.

Fabrice Closier, Administrator
Posted: 24 October 2012 06:44 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 2 ]

Very nice! Doing some research atm on a debug shader solution for Prefab, I would surely be interrested to see how you handle the problems.

DeAnimator, Newbie
Posted: 24 October 2012 07:03 PM   Total Posts: 2   [ # 3 ]

Thanks, the Mesh to Wireframe class is attached. Not sure if it’s something Away3D could use in the core or if the existing wireframe texture is preferred.

Prefab3D looks like a nice project - I’ll take a look. I’m more of a coder myself but know graphic design people who would prefer something a little more visual to put together scenes.

Happy to help out if I can on any issues you might have, but I expect you guys are way ahead of me.

File Attachments
WireframeMesh.zip  (File Size: 2KB - Downloads: 401)

Fabrice Closier, Administrator
Posted: 24 October 2012 08:03 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 4 ]

I cannot download the file. please send to fabrice3d at gmail dot com

I’m more of a coder myself but know graphic design people who would prefer something a little more visual to put together scenes.

Actually Prefab is made for devs and designers. Tho in practice its seems to be used by a large majority of devs.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X