One small question about Release Branch of Away3d.

Software: Away3D 4.x

Shegl, Sr. Member
Posted: 07 July 2012 09:05 PM   Total Posts: 134

When release comes out, package will have all branch merged including:
- Animation Refactor
- Particles Feature
- etc

All other the cool stuff what we have in branches or just some of them.
And if it will be only part of them. What parts will be included ?

Richard Olsson, Administrator
Posted: 08 July 2012 06:44 AM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 1 ]

The release branch is used for development as we’re approaching a release. General development happens on the “dev” branch, but once a feature set has been locked down for a release, work on that specific release moves to the “release” branch while work for future releases continue on “dev”. What’s in the “release” branch now will comprise the 4.0 release.

Out of the “feature branches” that currently exist, the ones that will (or already have been) merged into the release branch, and thus will be part of the 4.0 release, are the 2D framework integration (e.g. Starling), mouse picking refactor, shading method refactor (internal mostly), and animation refactor.

Particles will not make it into 4.0, but will likely be in 4.1!

Shegl, Sr. Member
Posted: 08 July 2012 06:50 AM   Total Posts: 134   [ # 2 ]

so another words if I wanna use particles feature I need merge it with release by myself :D. Thanx Richard!

John Brookes, Moderator
Posted: 08 July 2012 11:30 AM   Total Posts: 732   [ # 3 ]

Doesnt the separate particles still work with the release?..not tried it yet.
https://github.com/liaocheng/away3d-particles-system

Posted: 08 July 2012 11:33 AM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 4 ]

Merging particles into release might not be entirely conflict free, but there should be no major incompatibilities.

We are just not 100% happy with everything in the particles branch, and we simply do not have the time to fix those in time for the 4.0 release which will be very soon. Particles are planned for 4.1 though, which will not be too far into the future. smile

Shegl, Sr. Member
Posted: 08 July 2012 12:13 PM   Total Posts: 134   [ # 5 ]

just disposing 3d objects by “= null” very cool for me as also particles spells FX.

Alexander Seifert, Moderator
Posted: 09 July 2012 02:37 PM   Total Posts: 129   [ # 6 ]

Richard,

which parts of the particles system is it that you are not happy with?

Btw, after we recently upgraded to 4 Beta (finally!!) using the Release branch alpha blending was all broken. Seemed like depth sorting was incorrect for near z-fighting objects (not just Sprite3Ds, also regular meshes of which pivot points were at equal distances to camera).

When you check out liaocheng’s particles editor, compile it and run any demo you can instantly see.

We simply switched back to the Master branch. Straightened out everything.

Thanks, cheers and keep up the unimaginably awesome, good work!! =)
Alex

Signature 
signature_image

http://www.deltastrike.org

Posted: 09 July 2012 02:43 PM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 7 ]

Alexander: I’m not involved in those discussions so I don’t know the specifics, but we’re talking to liaocheng about it. There are a lot of small things, like naming conventions, language et c.

If you find a bug, please report it. What’s now in the release branch will be in master just weeks from now, so if you’re having problems with sorting, or something is “all broken”, please report it with reproducible test cases to help us fix it.

Alexander Seifert, Moderator
Posted: 09 July 2012 02:44 PM   Total Posts: 129   [ # 8 ]

Thanks, Richard, will do =)

Just a quick shot to see if you had come across anything like that already. Going to take some screenshots maybe quick screen capture etc.

Thanks! =)
Alex

Signature 
signature_image

http://www.deltastrike.org

Posted: 09 July 2012 02:45 PM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 9 ]

There is this “bug” report about alpha blending: https://github.com/away3d/away3d-core-fp11/issues/326

But I don’t know of any sorting issues that shouldn’t already have been fixed, so please report that.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X