AFTC Tutorial: Away3D 4(Beta) - Display an OBJ 3D Model (Embedded model)

Software: Away3D 4.x

Darcey, Moderator
Posted: 06 June 2012 12:35 AM   Total Posts: 209

New code based tutorials added, as always demo swf and full source included:

Away3D 4 (Beta) - Display an embedded OBJ 3D model
Here is an example using Away3D 4 (Beta) on how to embed an OBJ 3D model and attach a colour material to each sub mesh.

http://www.allforthecode.co.uk/aftc/forum/user/modules/forum/article.php?index=6&subindex=8&aid=328

Darcey

frogman_pep, Newbie
Posted: 24 June 2012 09:48 AM   Total Posts: 19   [ # 1 ]

When I run the project I get past the parsing of the model and the screen is just black.  All the controls are there, no errors, and the text says Left click, hold and drag mouse to rotate.

I’ve been away from Flex | Away3D a bit so it could easily be on my setup/etc, any suggestions?

Darcey, Moderator
Posted: 24 June 2012 10:00 AM   Total Posts: 209   [ # 2 ]

Sounds like an SDK issue. I had it when I got back to tinkering… An no errors :\

Download the latest SDK make sure you have the compiler option set to ..... forgotten exactly but its on my website somewhere….  and then it should work..

Let me know.. I will dig in to it more if you still have problems smile

Happy coding smile

frogman_pep, Newbie
Posted: 24 June 2012 11:02 AM   Total Posts: 19   [ # 3 ]

Just downloaded the latest SDK (Flex 4.6.0 (build 23201)) and set it up to run.  In the compiler arguments I have -swf-version=13.  I have tried with both playerglobal11_0.swc & playerglobal11_3.swc & setting their link type’s to External. 

This happens with both the 3DModel & PreloadObj3dModel.

Made sure I was running the latest Flash Player as well.  I probably won’t be up too much longer, either way thanks for the quick reply and thanks a bunch for all the tutorials, am really excited to figure out these latest ones and start implementing my own designz.

frogman_pep, Newbie
Posted: 24 June 2012 11:30 AM   Total Posts: 19   [ # 4 ]

Forgot about adding the params.wmode = “direct”; statement in index.template.html

Thanks a bunch, both files work now, and I’m getting back up to speed wink

Darcey, Moderator
Posted: 24 June 2012 12:36 PM   Total Posts: 209   [ # 5 ]

smile

frogman_pep, Newbie
Posted: 26 June 2012 07:27 AM   Total Posts: 19   [ # 6 ]

Is there a best practice you have for exporting the .obj.  I haven’t spent too much time on it, but I haven’t been able to export any of my models to work inside the code, yet..

I mostly work out of 3ds Max 2012, do have 2008 & 2013, along with Maya 2012

Also, this code could work on a mobile device runing Flash Player 11.2+ or AIR 3.2+, provided you input the different gestures/etc, right?

Darcey, Moderator
Posted: 26 June 2012 11:10 AM   Total Posts: 209   [ # 7 ]

I don’t have 3D Max, I use blender, I found it hit and miss with the models I have on my HD or downloaded what works and what doesn’t work.

See the demo on GIT HUB it has a 3D Max model there which loads up, textures too. OPen that in 3D Max and see what’s what.

If the device is Stage3D capable via the flash player or AIR then yep.

D

frogman_pep, Newbie
Posted: 26 June 2012 04:33 PM   Total Posts: 19   [ # 8 ]

Deng Darce that’s some good stuff right there.  Never got around to the github files in my few adventures with away3d in the past.  These last few hours have been rather encouraging.

Got some other development stuff to do and then we’ll see about following the trail these files outline, YES..! & THX smile

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X