Credit where it’s due

Software: Away3D 4.x

NickStone1983, Newbie
Posted: 12 March 2012 04:55 PM   Total Posts: 8

Hi, just a quick question…

I’m looking to develop a piece of software which will be part of a commercial package to create 3d scenes. Clients will not pay for the software per se, as it’ll be a web-service, but in order to access it in the first instance they will have to pay a fee.

I’m just wondering if anyone can tell me, do I need to credit, or link to, Away3D, at any point in the application? Do I need to at least reference the terms of the Apache licence?

I know some frameworks require this but I’ve heard away3D doesn’t, I’m not sure what the Apache 2.0 licence permits and I don’t want us to end up in court(!), but I don’t think an external link on our interface will go down too well here, and we need increasingly complex 3d - given the complexity of our application, I don’t want to write it in html5/webGL.

Thanks in advance, sorry if this is a dunce question, I’m reading the licence terms but I’m really, really tired and legalese is all but putting me to sleep!

Nick

Fabrice Closier, Administrator
Posted: 12 March 2012 10:06 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 1 ]

You can use the framework as you wish. as is, or modified.
The only thing you cannot claim, is saying that the framework is yours.

You do not have to place a link, tho, we would highly appriciate.
You do not have to place credits or the logo, tho, we would highly appriciate

Finally if you make money, you do not have to pay us anything,
tho, we would highly appriciate smile

NickStone1983, Newbie
Posted: 13 March 2012 01:21 PM   Total Posts: 8   [ # 2 ]

Thanks for the reply,

I certainly wouldn’t have a problem placing a link and a logo on there, it’s a cool framework (and seems only fair to credit you!), just wondered as I will have to pitch this as an alternative to WebGL, it might be a sticking point - I’ll make a personal donation at the very least.

Thanks again,

Nick

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X