AIR and iOS/Android

Software: Away3D 4.x

inSertCodE, Sr. Member
Posted: 01 March 2012 06:30 PM   Total Posts: 105

Frankly I’m new to AIR in general as my main field was AS3 Flash Development for web, but the new Stage3D on mobile sounds like a great opportunity.

However I’ll need to ask some questions for head start.
1. Developing for iOS… All the certificates and everything you need to compile a working iOS program with AIR can be only acquired if you enroll in the 99$/year iOS Developer Program?
Is there a way to compile the program and test it on my personal device without enrolling the iOS Developer Program?
I mean I’ll be happy to do it and pay the 99$ but only when my product is finished.

2. How are things going on Android? I hope the development process it little more friendly.

EDIT: I think I might have found a solution:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6586089/releasing-an-ios-mobile-app-built-in-flash-builder-4-5-without-apple-certificate
Will test it now.

mrpinc, Sr. Member
Posted: 01 March 2012 07:29 PM   Total Posts: 119   [ # 1 ]

Yes looks like somone posted a dev certificate to test with which is nice. only problem is that in order to test Ad-Hoc mode you need a distribution certificate and no one is going to post that. 

Why do you care about ad-hoc?  Well that and App-Store builds are the only ones where your ActionScript code gets optimized for iOS - all other builds do not optimize.

Fabrice Closier, Administrator
Posted: 02 March 2012 09:13 AM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 2 ]

Dev on I Devices is a pain in the ... if you ask me. Not just the certificates issue, its just that it takes 3x more time to go from compile to actually be able to test on device.
Android however is way more efficient, dev friendly.
The good news is that Away runs beautifully on both OS’s.

Little side note:
Using some exports of the soon to be release Prefab3D, will allow you to have compact apps displaying very rich 3d content as soon as app fires up…

inSertCodE, Sr. Member
Posted: 02 March 2012 10:03 PM   Total Posts: 105   [ # 3 ]

I have another question about iOS and AIR… I’ve exported an application (simple stuff not away3d) with AIR which doesn’t really use any specific ability of the iPhone.
The thing is that it can’t be installed on older iPhones 1 with iOS version 3.2
I don’t really understand why AIR doesn’t export applications, that doesn’t require any of the newer iPhon futures, for older iOS versions.

Anyway the main question, for which I can’t find answer anywhere is, whats the minimal iPhone and iOS requirement for AIR exported applications, and is that in any way connected to AIR version.

‹‹ API reference

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X