Adobe Flash Future ?

Software: Other

ozgur, Newbie
Posted: 10 November 2011 01:42 PM   Total Posts: 1

What do you think about the future of flash?

Choons, Sr. Member
Posted: 10 November 2011 06:45 PM   Total Posts: 281   [ # 1 ]

seems to me Flash will turn into a desktop/laptop 3D gaming and simulation platform. HTML5 can handle video and banner ads that Flash used to be the only the solution for. Adobe needs to realize Flash’s best hope is to be the highest performance in-browser GPU graphics platform available for PC’s. They need to concentrate on making it perform as well or better than Unity3D and WebGL on desktop graphic cards. If they can do that, Flash will thrive in that niche because AS3 is such a better scripting language to work with than javascript.

Baush, Sr. Member
Posted: 10 November 2011 09:08 PM   Total Posts: 135   [ # 2 ]

I agree, unless we see a Javascript 2.0 with typed variables and full OO, bytecode generation, AS3 remains the best language for anything more complicated than a simple animation and transitions.

Therefore I tend to agree with their move, they should focus on the app side of the mobile market through Air. Flash content generated on websites are close to never optimized for mobiles and gives an awful experience.

The news is about removing Flash from the mobile browsers, not the desktop, but it may become a trend..

I’m still keeping an ear open for DART from Google, this could be quite promising

empend, Member
Posted: 11 November 2011 12:39 AM   Total Posts: 77   [ # 3 ]

Have you guys seen this post?
http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2011/11/focusing.html

I think flash is fine.
Adobe tries to make an application to make everything easier…
They even have a lot of applications that do nearly the same thing, or one thats simply better than the other.

For example…
Why would I ever user Illustrator when I know I could do much better with Photoshop?

I’m not really worried about HTML5.
At least until a couple of years, and Edge finally makes things significantly easier for developers.

mth4, Newbie
Posted: 11 November 2011 09:31 PM   Total Posts: 15   [ # 4 ]

Those two posts should dispel your worries wink In my opinion Adobe did a good move. Flash Player didn’t fit there well.

http://www.mikechambers.com/blog/2011/11/11/clarifications-on-flash-player-for-mobile-browsers-the-flash-platform-and-the-future-of-flash/

http://www.bytearray.org/

theMightyAtom, Sr. Member
Posted: 12 November 2011 08:16 AM   Total Posts: 669   [ # 5 ]

It seems a strange strategy to publicly discontinue something before it’s even out there.

While I partly understand Adobe’s decision, if they are going to release Flash 11.1 on mobile, why announce they are dropping Flash Player on mobile so early on? The signal has been met with confusion by customers. One said to me, “I here Adobe are dropping Flash and going over to HTML5, Steve Jobs was right!” which is an understandable analysis, for people who didn’t get all the facts, and don’t work with the technology.

Adobe also announced the discontinuation of Pixel Bender 3 before Flash 11 was even released if the community didn’t adopt in more. I commented at the time, that they couldn’t expect adoption of PB3 before F11 release, but my comment was silently removed.

Come on Adobe, it’s fair enough to discontinue something after it’s failed, but not before it’s launched.

mth4, Newbie
Posted: 12 November 2011 08:27 AM   Total Posts: 15   [ # 6 ]

Well, I really like Flash and I will not leave it just like that. It is really sad, seeing all that people laughing that Jobs was right etc. We should fight that misinformation if we don’t want to be forced to move on to HTML5. I really hate HTML so I will.

More damaging to Flash is all of that misinformation that Adobe completely leaves Flash than the fact that there will not be FP on mobiles.

I don’t see anything wrong in Adobe’s actions - they just want to invest their money better. For most of the users at those forums it’s even good news as Adobe also announced that they will focus Flash on game development etc.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X