Software: Other

Choons, Sr. Member
Posted: 09 November 2011 08:37 AM   Total Posts: 281

yeesh, WIRED reporting ‘Adobe Abandons Mobile Flash Development’

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/11/adobe-kills-mobile-flash/

not good

Jeff, Newbie
Posted: 09 November 2011 11:37 AM   Total Posts: 30   [ # 1 ]

What a bad news .... in my point of view this is very dangerous strategy, if there is no longer vision for the future of flash on mobile, why using flash on a website ... including desktop browser ... Adobe could lose one of their key point, their market penetration ability.

On the web, Adobe want to focus on HTML5 instead of Flash, so what is the future of Flash Stage3D .. WebGL ?

“Do it once and deliver content everywhere” ... but now only for native applications ... Breaking developer confidence is the worse that could happen ...

sebbdk, Jr. Member
Posted: 09 November 2011 03:05 PM   Total Posts: 39   [ # 2 ]

well it’s not great, but i dont see it as a bad thing either, hopefully Adobe’s Edge prototype will fill in the gab

Jeff, Newbie
Posted: 09 November 2011 03:48 PM   Total Posts: 30   [ # 3 ]

The official announce :

http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2011/11/flash-focus.html

greghudd, Newbie
Posted: 09 November 2011 05:09 PM   Total Posts: 5   [ # 4 ]

My point of view is as long as away3d + hw/acc works on AIR deployments, then the future is bright indeed. 

There will be way less wacky phone support issues going fwd since the webkit thats buried inside of AIR will be more consistent across deployments. 

Saving everyone time/money over the combinatorial nightmare of (bad) support scenarios that could/will happen with 100 phones a year with 20 different browsers per year per device plus flash(x) and so forth.

Now if they go brain-dead and drop AIR, then I am going to be hopping mad…

Just my 2cents.  //gh

Choons, Sr. Member
Posted: 09 November 2011 05:42 PM   Total Posts: 281   [ # 5 ]

does Stage3D work well on AIR 3? And on mobile? I haven’t yet tried it out.

Jeff, Newbie
Posted: 09 November 2011 06:09 PM   Total Posts: 30   [ # 6 ]

On desktop Stage3D works well on AIR3, and you have higher performance than inside a browser.

Concerning mobile,

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/919/cpsid_91932.html

“Stage 3D for mobile versions of Flash Player & AIR will be enabled in a future release. ”

Now only AIR will be supported ... but not yet released ...

Stephen Hopkins, Sr. Member
Posted: 09 November 2011 07:50 PM   Total Posts: 110   [ # 7 ]

I don’t think it’s all that bad. Adobe is gonna have much more resources to work on their other projects which are already spread too far among direct x, opengl, macs, windows, and all the mobile devices.

Air can still be used for mobile apps

Signature 

http://www-scf.usc.edu/~shopkins

Somokon, Member
Posted: 09 November 2011 11:05 PM   Total Posts: 75   [ # 8 ]

Good decision I think.  No one bothers with RIAs on their mobile browser, it’s all downloaded apps.  Makes much more sense to stop wasting man hours supporting the flash plugin and focus on AIR instead.  Whereas on the desktop the primary way to consume content is still within the browser.

Choons, Sr. Member
Posted: 09 November 2011 11:19 PM   Total Posts: 281   [ # 9 ]

I agree with your point, Somokon, except for the major concern that Stage3D isn’t yet working in AIR for mobile. I think us 3D guys better get used to the idea that Stage3D may be a desktop only deal.

It also kind of begs the question of why would Adobe now keep Stage3D in its current arguably limited state of DX9/shader 2.0 capability? My understanding was that the whole design concept was to keep Stage3D “light” for mobile, sacrificing 3D power as a matter of course. If Adobe changes course like this, they ought to turn Stage3D into a true Unity3D killer app

theMightyAtom, Sr. Member
Posted: 10 November 2011 07:59 AM   Total Posts: 669   [ # 10 ]

:shock:

If you read the blog post http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2011/11/flash-focus.html they intend to release 11.1 for Android and Playbook, but that will be the last mobile browser player.

It seems odd to me. First we had applications that you had to install on your machine, then everything useful became web based, and now we’re going back to having to download and install an app again, for anything more than an animated web page, despite the fact mobile devices tend to have considerably less storage space. I guess this is driven by peoples willingness to pay for downloadable apps and not for use of web based apps.

I thought it was strange watching the Edge demo. It was like I’d fallen through a timewarp to the release of Macromedia Flash 3.0

Still, I suppose there’s no point bucking the trend for apps and app stores.
Flash will still be ubiquitous, but will require more work from the developer to make Flash applications available to everyone.

My first AIR app for mobile will be one that plays .swf’s off the internet from a URL :O)

wagster, Member
Posted: 10 November 2011 05:33 PM   Total Posts: 68   [ # 11 ]

Sorry - but given the currently difficulties in wringing enough performance out of desktops for Stage3D - what’s the point in trying to develop it for mobiles?  It works great with the right hardware behind it, but it doesn’t perform very well on a netbook, so I think asking phones to do it is a step too far.

theMightyAtom, Sr. Member
Posted: 10 November 2011 05:51 PM   Total Posts: 669   [ # 12 ]

Smartphones have GPU’s, and small CPU’s. If you can move Flash to the mobiles GPU, there’s massive gains. As for netbooks, I get mixed results. Some have acceleration, cheaper ones don’t always. My daughters bought 2, a Packard Bell and a HP around the same price. One (the HP) runs Flash fine, particularly fullscreen video), the other (PB) chokes on the simplest game.

t.key, Newbie
Posted: 13 November 2011 02:12 PM   Total Posts: 2   [ # 13 ]

Did anyone try to debug 3D apps on android/ios mobiles?
Facing some problems. View3D doesn’t render.

mth4, Newbie
Posted: 13 November 2011 06:24 PM   Total Posts: 15   [ # 14 ]
t.key - 13 November 2011 02:12 PM

Did anyone try to debug 3D apps on android/ios mobiles?
Facing some problems. View3D doesn’t render.

As far as I know, the initial release of FP11 and AIR doesn’t introduce Stage3D to mobiles. It will be added to AIR with the next release.

t.key, Newbie
Posted: 13 November 2011 07:26 PM   Total Posts: 2   [ # 15 ]

Oh, well…
Nothing left, but waiting…
Going to visit flixel. Will be back soon, I hope.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X