Why AWAY3D?

Software: Away3D 3.x

Choons, Sr. Member
Posted: 07 October 2011 12:29 AM   Total Posts: 281   [ # 16 ]

LOL! And like women, when you think you know them quite well they go and change everything LOL

mth4, Newbie
Posted: 20 October 2011 06:42 PM   Total Posts: 15   [ # 17 ]

I think that all engines based on Molehill are buggy and all lack of some features as it is still fresh and new technology. In the case of Away3D you are always free to look at the code and make something right or get something to work better. In the case of Alternativa as far as I know you can’t do so as it is distributed as .swc. That made me to choose Away3D without hesitation wink

kurono, Sr. Member
Posted: 21 October 2011 01:53 AM   Total Posts: 103   [ # 18 ]

“Why AWAY3D?” For me it isn’t a question smile
1) Really powerful
2) OpenSource (pice of cake for code diggers)
3) Another engines were left so far-far-away from The Away!

3dNewb, Sr. Member
Posted: 21 October 2011 11:30 AM   Total Posts: 105   [ # 19 ]

It is great to have an honest discussion about the reason to (not) choose for Away3d.

I am a bit reluctant to immediately see opensource as some huge advantage. In my time, many opensource projects that I have implemented into different projects have just “evaporated” into inactivity. I believe that Papervision3D was pretty active at some point?

Being able to “fork the project and continue development” is an often heard non-argument. I use these projects as a tool, not as a core business.

So, if I put this in perspective for Away3D (pun intended), I think we have a pretty active community with a great team of participators and this seems like a very healthy project.

I don’t think you should look too much at speed or ease of use or learning curve, the Flash 3D scene is way to young for any of that. I think business continuity and “availability required features for your project” are key factors.

‹‹ Getting Started

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X