Is there future for Flash player & Away3d?

Software: Away3D 4.x

Konstantinos, Newbie
Posted: 19 September 2011 06:37 AM   Total Posts: 1

The news are troubling regarding the future of flash player and as a consequence for Away3D.

Apple has made it obvious that doesn’t like flash player and didn’t include it in the iOS.

But even worse Microsoft just announced that the next Windows 8 OS will not support flash player at all! Look at the link:

http://www.osnews.com/story/25165/Microsoft_Abandons_Flash_Silverlight_in_Windows_8

Is this possible? I mean even if Internet Explorer will not allow to install the plugin will it not be possible to install it to say… Firefox? I’m going to try the windows 8 preview release and let you know…

What is your view on this?

theMightyAtom, Sr. Member
Posted: 19 September 2011 07:10 AM   Total Posts: 669   [ # 1 ]

Konstantinos, the article you refer to is not accurate and only takes part of Microsoft’s announcement. What they’ve said is that their tablet/phone type, interface for windows (Metro) will include an ADDITIONAL browser that only shows HTML, i.e. no plug-ins. If you see the interface, it makes sense. It’s meant to be a small window on your desktop.

Not even Microsoft would do something so suicidal for themselves.

John Brookes, Moderator
Posted: 19 September 2011 09:29 AM   Total Posts: 732   [ # 2 ]

GOing by fp11 was Nigel (spinal tap)

Think adobe should name the next release “Mark”
“The report of my death was an exaggeration” wink

TheSillyOne, Newbie
Posted: 23 September 2011 02:06 PM   Total Posts: 28   [ # 3 ]

I was expecting some WebGL stuff here. LOL

As has been said before, that is only true for the Metro browser, which (I assume) wouldn’t even incude MS’s own Silverlight. (Right?)

The other point was iOS, but according to Adobe AIR 3 is coming to iOS (as well as Android), so that is out of the way, too.

As far as I see it, there are currently no threats to FP and Away3D, but then, I am no authority on the subject. smile

Best ragards.

bakajin, Newbie
Posted: 27 September 2011 12:37 PM   Total Posts: 24   [ # 4 ]

Making apps in Air for iOs and selling them in the appstore is already available. Or did I miss something?

All this hubbub and all apple did is leave out the plugin for the iOs safari.
Pretty lame if you ask me, focus in smartphones and, it would seem even, tablets lies in apps anyway. With broomstick and flashplayer going up to eleven this will most likely intensify air app production.

I’m keen to get started!

PS.It’s remarkable to see how quickly monopolists turn sour.

<sent from my apple newton>

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X