2000+ members and counting!

Software: Other

Alejandro Santander, Administrator
Posted: 19 August 2011 03:14 PM   Total Posts: 414

Hello lads,

Apparently, the forum is becoming a busy place. In the last few days, we’ve reached 2000 forum members and are quickly exceeding this number. For me, this means that the forum is working quite well as a communications tool for the Away3D community, and is becoming a very successful project since its launch a few months ago.

Perhaps this is a good time to ask for some feedback from the community. I would like to ask you what you think about the forum, if it is being useful to you and what kind of things would you change/keep.

We are very devoted to improving the Away3D’s communication tool set, so rest assured that your feedback will be heard and considered as this site evolves.

Cheers,
Li

John Brookes, Moderator
Posted: 19 August 2011 03:52 PM   Total Posts: 732   [ # 1 ]

Well done 1000 spam accounts wink

Serioulsy run a little script against the db.
If they have a bio/ url and no posts it will more than likely be spam.

Put robots txt for bio page
site:away3d.com/forum prescription <- google it theres lots more than just this guy.
In fact just dont bother having bio page, its just free links for spammers.

Sorry just hate letting spammers win.

ANd woo hoo well done wink

EFFalcon, Jr. Member
Posted: 19 August 2011 10:55 PM   Total Posts: 44   [ # 2 ]

it has been getting more and more active.

and i can only assume it’ll get better when flash 11 is released.

Concept Z, Sr. Member
Posted: 20 August 2011 02:57 AM   Total Posts: 124   [ # 3 ]

Yes,this is a nice place , and become one part of my everyday life…

another place is:
http://area.autodesk.com/

I just hope away3d can do something like that…

Signature 
signature_image

Anyone can cook but only the fearless can be great

theMightyAtom, Sr. Member
Posted: 20 August 2011 11:09 AM   Total Posts: 669   [ # 4 ]

Congrats!

Here’s the feedback of a daily addict…

The actual post functionality works really well, especially the code tag.
Would be nice to be able to put images within the text, but I can live with it.

The thing that could really make a difference would be giving the search feature a major overhaul. Then maybe we wouldn’t see so many repeats of the same issues.
The field at the top gives more SQL errors than actual results in my experience.
It’s great that you can add the software version when posting, but when you can’t search for posts via version, it’s frustrating, especially given the level of shared syntax between versions. Setting the “filter posts” doesn’t stop the front page displaying the latest posts about other versions, which would have been logical, at least to me smile

I think I’d have split the categories differently, keeping all Molehill stuff in it’s own category/subcategories. Away4 is a completely different animal and I’m guessing that’s where most new users will get confused and need help. While long time followers of Away/Flash can (perhaps) better understand the enormous changes recently, newbies are lost. Going from being called Away3D 3.6 to Away3D 4.0 is misleading, suggesting that 4 is a continuation rather than a complete re-write. How should users intuitively know that information about the one does not apply to the other? Would it perhaps be more descriptive to rename 4.0 to AwayGL 1.0 (or something!) to emphasise this? Just my 2 cents smile

The actual categories are a bit diffuse, and I notice people use them all as support. Maybe there should be “Away4.0+ Support”, “Away 3.6 and below Support”, “Away3DLite Support”, “Showcase”, “Community Discussions” and “Jobs”, where jobs would be a place for perspective employers looking for talent, as well as programmers looking for modellers, etc. 

Sorry if that all sounded like wining, I actually love what you’ve done with the site so far.

Cheers!

John Brookes, Moderator
Posted: 20 August 2011 12:46 PM   Total Posts: 732   [ # 5 ]

As for the forum

Wish it was more like the unity forum, meaning more categories related to the whole workflow.
The more sections the better.

And whats the difference between support and community anyway?

And woo hoo another 150 members in the last 24 hrs :p

80prozent, Sr. Member
Posted: 20 August 2011 02:41 PM   Total Posts: 430   [ # 6 ]

i really like this forum.

but:

mighty atom is right, away3d 4 should be more sepperate from the other software.

to be honest, i dont know when to post something in “support” and when in “communtiy” i usally go with support (sounds more like team members will look into my issue)

proper search function would be nice too

i noticed, that when a thread is longer than 1 side, i need to scroll all the way down to get to page 2.
would be nice to have a “page select menu” on top of each thread.

edit: another thing i do not like is, that i have to uncheck the “Notify me via email when someone posts in this thread”. i keep forgetting about this, and that results in many many unneccesary emails. this days i got more away3d-forum e-mail than real spam smile

i know its my own vault, but leaving the checkbox unchecked by default, would prevent me from doing this mistake again and again….

thanx for all the work you guys done this far.
great engine
great support

Signature 

sorry…i hope my actionscript is better than my english…

Posted: 23 August 2011 07:43 AM   Total Posts: 669   [ # 7 ]

OK, so some of the members are robots smile

QED

John Brookes, Moderator
Posted: 23 August 2011 08:02 AM   Total Posts: 732   [ # 8 ]

lol comedy robot.
Oh yeah, signatures, another spammers wet dream.

Posted: 01 September 2011 12:00 PM   Total Posts: 669   [ # 9 ]

All valid points “ghdfth”, and a very nice name if I may be so bold.

Is anyone actually MODERATING this thread?!

Posted: 06 September 2011 11:36 PM   Total Posts: 414   [ # 10 ]

Thank you all for the very valid points raised, and sorry for not being around much for moderation. Work has been very busy on the code side.

Hopefully, I should have time to work on the forum soon and progress on your ideas!

Posted: 07 September 2011 11:11 AM   Total Posts: 669   [ # 11 ]

Might I suggest adding some test for humans when registering?
Are you able to delete known bots? My friend ghdfth will soon be a Sr. Member!

Jens Chr Brynildsen, Administrator
Posted: 09 September 2011 11:22 PM   Total Posts: 70   [ # 12 ]

I’m sorry to say that the actual number is only 382 after a manual sweep across the database. If anyone was deleted by accident, they can contact me using (jenschr] at gmail and I’ll restore their user from backup.

I’ve also done some changes to the login and registration. If you have any issues, contact me at the gmail above.

J

Posted: 09 September 2011 11:41 PM   Total Posts: 414   [ # 13 ]

raspberry

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X