Announcing: SOUR File Format

Software: Away3D 4.x

synkarius, Member
Posted: 31 December 2012 05:36 PM   Total Posts: 64

I’d like to announce a new 3D format, SOUR. SOUR helps further bridge the gap between Blender and Away3D, as well as providing “attachment points” for attaching other meshes to an animated mesh without skeletal animation.

SOUR Format Details:
—————————————
- exports “attachment points”, an easy way to put something in a Mesh’s hand, or on its head, etc. (see Github page for details, example)
- exports normals and tangents from Blender (in addition to all the standard data), correcting the hard seams issue
- exports vertex animation (based on shape keys or a rig, or both)
- is indexed and (optionally) compressed
- requires no modifications of Away3D source, has an Away3D Parser and a Blender export script
- is open source: Github page
- does not include: bones, materials, cameras, lights, multiple objects
- requires a patched version of Blender to work (patched copy of 2.64 at Github, link to patch if you want to build for yourself)
- has not been tested with Away3D 4.1 yet

I look forward to suggestions for improvement and if anyone’s interested, pull requests. I hope this can be as useful to others as it is to us.

Enjoy.

Fabrice Closier, Administrator
Posted: 01 January 2013 08:09 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 1 ]

I was looking at your alicenoncompressed file, and after just minor changes to the parser, it was up&running; with it’s waving anim. Not sure I see where and how you define the meshes, their names and few other things, but I guess next Prefab will load your format as is, as well smile Happy 2013!

synkarius, Member
Posted: 01 January 2013 09:44 PM   Total Posts: 64   [ # 2 ]

Hi Fabrice. I thought I included all the standard ParserBase stuff, but it seems I missed a few things. Please send me an email at my forum email address letting me know what I missed and I’ll be happy to fix that. I’m very excited to get SOUR included in Prefab. grin Happy 2013 to you as well.

Posted: 01 January 2013 10:14 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 3 ]

No worries, all works fine (tho, if you could provided me more files to test that would be great such as skeleton anims, more complex scenegraphs, materials etc…). It was missing some details to seamlessly work with Prefab. Your parser finalizes only geometry for instance, while Prefab listens to meshes as well.

synkarius, Member
Posted: 02 January 2013 05:01 PM   Total Posts: 64   [ # 4 ]

I can certainly send you some other files to test. Did you want .blend files, .sour files, or both? Regarding skeletal anims, whole scenes, and materials, SOUR doesn’t do those yet, though I wouldn’t be opposed to including them in the future. (Presently, you can use a skeleton and/or shape keys to animate in Blender, but the saved animation will be vertex animation even if you use a skeleton.)

I’ve updated the parser so it finalizes a named Mesh (and the examples to reflect the change). If there’s anything else I can do, let me know.

Posted: 02 January 2013 09:05 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 5 ]

Just sour files please.

synkarius, Member
Posted: 03 January 2013 07:26 AM   Total Posts: 64   [ # 6 ]

Some more .sour files have been added to the /examples folder. I updated the parser too, to fix a bug with meshes with no UVs.

Posted: 03 January 2013 09:18 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 7 ]

mmm, updated with your latest parser, now previous file (alicenoncompressed) generate internal error, your alice.sour even crash air in adl mode smile
returning to previous parser and testing your bat and sword, I get asset malformated errors.
The provided maps are not loaded, I do not see any attemps to do so either.

Busy on other stuff, I cannot really dive into this atm.
Please contact me offline at fabrice3d at gmail dot com if you need more details.

synkarius, Member
Posted: 04 January 2013 08:43 PM   Total Posts: 64   [ # 8 ]

I’ve sent you an email and fixed a mistake in the HoldObjectDemo.as demo. If you re-download everything from Github, it should work now.

Thanks for your patience. smile

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X