Code question – should be easy for math nerds

Software: Away3D 4.x

Pixelblitz, Newbie
Posted: 09 October 2012 08:53 PM   Total Posts: 3

Hi,
I would like to build a sphere that is covered with a layer of hexagons on its surface. Let’s say the sphere has a diameter of 600px. Now as I’m not that bright in mathematics I don’t know if I’m right but I think the surface could be covered by hexagons (or octagons). If you extrude these hexagons on its z- (or upper) axis by 10px it would cover the surface of a sphere with a diameter of 620px.
The idea is to generate the outer layer of tiles with a black material and the surface of the sphere beneath in a shiny, maybe some kind of Xbox first generation green glowing ring kinda material.
Then by touching the sphere you would remove the outer layer and reveal the shiny surface. The idea isn’t original (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7mH93cbP-Q) but a sphere might look cool.

Maybe somebody already covered this and give me a clue?

Fabrice Closier, Administrator
Posted: 09 October 2012 09:11 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 1 ]

Check out the 3.6 primitives package, GeodesicSphere. All the calcs are in there, except we never found out on how to map it correctly. Its on the flash9/10 svn repo.

Pixelblitz, Newbie
Posted: 09 October 2012 09:16 PM   Total Posts: 3   [ # 2 ]

Thanks for your reply, I’ll look into it.

By the way, could you delete my other accidental post? wink

cyrilblack1, Newbie
Posted: 26 October 2012 06:37 AM   Total Posts: 1   [ # 3 ]

As far as your description is concerned, it seems difficult to answer this. But I would definitely try this one.

immobilier expert

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X