Request: Prefab 2 export options for Away3D 3.X

Software: Away3D 3.x

Majo, Newbie
Posted: 11 October 2012 01:10 PM   Total Posts: 22

Well, the title sort of says it all smile I’d really love to be able to export to Away3D 3.X from Prefab 2, mainly because Prefab 2 has options like a Skybox generator and because it is simply easier to work with.

Fabrice Closier, Administrator
Posted: 11 October 2012 01:56 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 1 ]

Actually that’s the first thing Prefab2 was able to do: export as awd1 for exchange purposes between 3.x and 4.x projects.The awd1 features are limited to objects and their materials.
You can either use the awd1 directly into your project or load it into Prefab 1.x, to export as3 for 3.x. Obj is another option.

As about extending 3.x support, and actually adding new functionalities that are not in Prefab 1.x, chances are low. Very low. Tho, if I can add something that might be usefull at no or low cost, such as the cubicmap export in P2 for Away 3.x, I certainly will.

Majo, Newbie
Posted: 11 October 2012 02:04 PM   Total Posts: 22   [ # 2 ]

Hi Fabrice,
Thank you very much for your reply smile Do you know if there are any good tutorials available on how to use the .AWD-format in Flash? I am quite a newbie when it comes to Away3D, so if there is a good tutorial available somewhere, that would be really nice.

I also have a small question. If I use Prefab to make a .AWD with several objects in it, for example a cube an a sphere, would I be able to add a MouseEventListener to one of those objects? For example, being able to click on the cube so that it will rotate? Something like this basically:

cube.addEventListener(MouseEvent3D.MOUSE_UPonClickCube);

private function 
onClickCube(ev MouseEvent3D):void
  {
   GenericTweener
.tween(ev.currentTarget1
   rotationX
Math.random()*360

rotationYMath.random()*360

rotationZMath.random()*360 } 

); 

Posted: 11 October 2012 02:26 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 3 ]

Any example on “loading files” for away 4.0 is applicable to awd2.
The difference with the other formats that we support is the filesize and animation support (and more will be added to the format as we go).
As about adding mouse events: every single mesh displayed in Away3d, coming from loaders, generative code is accessible one way or another. You can change whatever you like on/in it. Usually, from loaders if you know the name, AssetLibrary.getAsset(“thename”); will return you the baby. You can listen to AssetEvents during the parsing, you can deep parse the scene etc…

Note that you can also use Prefab’s AS3 exports, where all you have to type is import the class and addchilding a new instance of it. AS3 also offers the most complete set of away3d features. Normalmaps, specular, skyboxes, few methods, vertexanimations, behaviours, lights. Like awd2, more will be added to AS3 exports.

Majo, Newbie
Posted: 11 October 2012 02:46 PM   Total Posts: 22   [ # 4 ]

So, if I had this code for an example and wanted to use a .AWD-file:

protected override function _createScene() : void 
  {
   Debug
.active true;

_loader = new LoaderCube(); 
   var 
url String '/assets/monkey.3ds';

_loader.addEventListener(Loader3DEvent.LOAD_SUCCESS_onSuccess);

_loader.loadGeometry(url, new Max3DS()); 

_loader.scale(10); 

_view.scene.addChild(_loader);

All I would need to do is change the path behind var url: String=, am I right?

Posted: 11 October 2012 02:56 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 5 ]

unless you want to load only monkeys, yes changing the url is a good idea. but if you read 2 lines further, you will see new Max3ds. this is not the parser that will understand awd1. Change the parser depending on file extension. Btw why no 4.x? If you are new to Away3D, why not learn the current engine instead?

Majo, Newbie
Posted: 11 October 2012 03:14 PM   Total Posts: 22   [ # 6 ]

At first I was going to learn 4.0, but unfortunately the adoption rate of Flash Player 11 is too low for that. So I switched to 3.6, so that users with Flash Player 10 can also view/use the final product.

Posted: 11 October 2012 07:03 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 7 ]

May I ask some figures here? Where have you seen any stats saying so?
flash 11 is out for 2+ years, updates are automatic, some browser even come with flash “embedded”, so users get latest(almost) plugin every browser update.
I do not recall seen any penetration figures with F11 data from Adobe yet. Their old stats page hasn’t been updated for at least 3 years.(which is bad for sure)

Majo, Newbie
Posted: 11 October 2012 08:46 PM   Total Posts: 22   [ # 8 ]

To me, that they don’t show the stats is sort of a sign that it isn’t stellar, above 95%. I found some stats here:
http://www.statowl.com/flash.php
The most recent stats are from juli 2012, only two to three months ago. The percentage for Flash Player 11 is 76.91% in that specific month, which means approximately 1/4 users don’t have Flash 11 yet, although they do have internet acces. Since users in my target group usually don’t have very new computers with all the newest software, I think Away 3D 3.6 would be the best choice.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X