Multiple materials on a cube in Broomstick..

Software: Away3D 4.x

Mr Margaret Scratcher, Sr. Member
Posted: 14 June 2011 02:20 PM   Total Posts: 344

I’m sure you guys are planning to implement this kind of basic functionality in Broomstick, I’m just wondering when I might be able to achieve this as it is a major part of the project I’m trying to migrate across from papervision.

Ta!

John Brookes, Moderator
Posted: 14 June 2011 05:22 PM   Total Posts: 732   [ # 1 ]

Create a cube from 6 planes.
Use the merge class to merge those planes into a single mesh.
You can then change each cubes side material through submeshes.
eg
mergedCube.subMeshes[2].material = new colorMaterial(0xf0000)

Fabrice Closier, Administrator
Posted: 15 June 2011 08:49 AM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 2 ]

More primitives and primitives improvements are indeed on the todo. Cube will get back it’s mapping options like in previous versions: 1 map per side or map6

Mr Margaret Scratcher, Sr. Member
Posted: 16 June 2011 03:34 PM   Total Posts: 344   [ # 3 ]
Fabrice Closier - 15 June 2011 08:49 AM

More primitives and primitives improvements are indeed on the todo. Cube will get back it’s mapping options like in previous versions: 1 map per side or map6

Eagerly looking forward to that, the above method should work, but is a bit of a cludge and would involve a lot of extra coding, especially for what I’m planning, which is around 5000 cubes dynamically created and positioned…

I did guess that at this early stage the more basic functions had perhaps been placed at a lower priority, after all a demo with a high poly model imported is going to be more impressive than a cube with different sides…

Any idea on a timescale for the next release?

Richard Olsson, Administrator
Posted: 16 June 2011 04:29 PM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 4 ]

There are no plans for a “next release” because there isn’t a “current release” yet. Broomstick is still alpha. The plan is to move into beta pretty soon and after that focus will be shifted from adding features to fixing bugs and making everything stable.

Make sure you are using Git or SVN to stay up to date with what’s happening in the library. It makes little sense at this point (when we’re in alpha) to rely on zipped up versions of the code being released through away3d.com. That is something that will happen for every stable release (e.g. 4.0 stable) but right now the library changes very rapidly and if you are waiting for zip archives then you will see huge changes from one to the next.

Cheers

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X