.JXR (jpeg with alpha) bitmap texture support

Software: Prefab3D

Phil Webster, Newbie
Posted: 07 September 2012 02:59 PM   Total Posts: 8

Please please please…

can we have support for the *.JXR - it’s so much better than .jpeg as it can contain an alpha channel. 

We’ve used JXRs for all previous Away3D 4 jobs (when we were defining our own shaders for OBJ meshes) but since moving to the AWD format and using Prefab3D to prepare materials I don’t see any way to reference them in the materials editor.

grin

Phil

Fabrice Closier, Administrator
Posted: 07 September 2012 06:01 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 1 ]

todo++ smile

Phil Webster, Newbie
Posted: 07 September 2012 08:15 PM   Total Posts: 8   [ # 2 ]

Thanks Fabrice. I should probably add that I’m just a 3D guy (not a coder) and our main Flash 3D dev on this project is on holiday so he may be able to cook something up when he’s back (although I doubt he has time for digging away at the AWD file spec).

Either way, having it as a feature in P3D 2 would be awesome!

Cheers,

Phil

Phil Webster, Newbie
Posted: 12 September 2012 04:12 PM   Total Posts: 8   [ # 3 ]

Solved - just export your model from Prefab3D, then change the .PNGs to .JXRs (I use XN Viewer on Windows for this), and then finally delete the .PNG image and rename the .JXR extension to .PNG and it works!

Nice small bitmap files!

P

theMightyAtom, Sr. Member
Posted: 13 September 2012 07:11 AM   Total Posts: 669   [ # 4 ]

I too recently discovered the miracle of JXR and it’s native support in Flash Player. http://blog.kaourantin.net/?p=116
It’s been around in Flash for 18 months now, but hardly gets a mention.
I was forced to use it in an AIR application, as AIR is only 32bit and therefore limited in the bitmap sizes it can handle.
A png with alpha channel that was 260Mb came out as 86Mb in JXR!

XNView seems to be the best convertor available. http://www.xnview.com/

Cheers!

Phil Webster, Newbie
Posted: 24 September 2012 09:12 AM   Total Posts: 8   [ # 5 ]

Hmm… I may have posted too soon.  There seems to be a problem somewhere, but I’m not sure exactly at the moment.  Performing a batch conversion on a dozen textures (with XN View) seems to break them in one way or another.  Will probably spend some time later this week working this out but if anyone’s got any experience please feel free to chime in!

Phil

MightAtom - am totally with you on the JXRs, just need to get past this current stumbling block.

theMightyAtom, Sr. Member
Posted: 24 September 2012 10:39 AM   Total Posts: 669   [ # 6 ]

hi Phil, I haven’t tried batch conversion, but have experienced that XNView is not the most stable software in the world, even if it is free.
I tried out the old photoshop plugin (described at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/50769 ), that DOESN’T create valid jxr files, in my tests unfortunately.

If anyone knows of a better conversion program, please chip in smile

Phil Webster, Newbie
Posted: 24 September 2012 11:17 AM   Total Posts: 8   [ # 7 ]

This issue with batch converted PNGs has only just cropped up, it seems.  I’ve used XNView for a while now for away3d 4 projects with no major problems so can’t be sure whether it’s XN, but it definitely seems like some are not ‘valid enough’ for Flash.  I need some time to check everything through - there’s enough holes in my workflow to suggest I may be talking out my arse!

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X