Forum request - clicked links

Software: Other

Choons, Sr. Member
Posted: 16 June 2011 04:22 PM   Total Posts: 281

Hi Away3D team. This request is for the forum. I’ve noticed when I click a link in a forum post that it opens the link in the same window necessitating hitting the back button to go back to the forum post. I request that clicked links open a new window or tab so that I can have both the forum post and the link content available at the same time to refer and respond to. I’m used to the Google group working that way and am inadvertently closing the window after I have looked at the link and then having to open the Away3D site all over again to get back to where I was.

Richard Olsson, Administrator
Posted: 16 June 2011 04:25 PM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 1 ]

One could argue that the way the forum currently works is better, because you as a user can control whether you want to open the link in a new window (using your browser key commands, most likely holding ctrl/cmd while clicking) or opening in the same window (simply clicking the link.)

If we modify so that all links are opened in a new window, we may upset those who don’t want to have the browser open extra windows, and I think that being able to force a linked resource to open in the same window as the linking document is a less frequent browser feature.

Choons, Sr. Member
Posted: 16 June 2011 04:53 PM   Total Posts: 281   [ # 2 ]

I disagree big time. Seems to me it’s become standard for links in forums to open new windows. That’s why I noticed the difference.

Richard Olsson, Administrator
Posted: 16 June 2011 05:00 PM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 3 ]

I have no personal opinion about this, so I would love to hear from other community members before we make any changes.

80prozent, Sr. Member
Posted: 16 June 2011 06:08 PM   Total Posts: 430   [ # 4 ]

i would prefer to leave it like it is, just because of having the choice.
i like having choices smile

Signature 

sorry…i hope my actionscript is better than my english…

Jens Chr Brynildsen, Administrator
Posted: 17 June 2011 01:04 PM   Total Posts: 70   [ # 5 ]

Yeah. Personally, I like to decide for myself what opens in a new window and not. It’s not like it’s something big either? open a new window and you have to close it. Need to go back, just use the keyboard shortcut to go back. it’s the same really?

MadMax, Newbie
Posted: 21 June 2011 03:57 AM   Total Posts: 1   [ # 6 ]

Strongly disagree.

Would rather have the choice, and simple to open in a new window, plus it is not ideal to open new windows for accessibility reasons.

Cheers,
Max

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X