Character performance issue

Software: Away3D 4.x

krissSilent, Newbie
Posted: 06 June 2013 11:37 AM   Total Posts: 8

Hi there,
I am stuck with a big performance issue using the AWPKinematicCharacterController.

This is what I try to do:
I want to create a bunch of characters moving around on a terrain, controlled by a simple flock behaviour.
They show up and move and all, but if I create more then one character my clip gets really laggy.

Do I have to clone one character to save processing power? And if so, how could I possibliy achieve this?

I thought of the character controller as being a convienient way to have full control over movement and animation states (animation not even being added yet for not being able to export awd files from 3ds max 2013), but if thereĀ“s a different way to get the results I want I will give it a try as well wink

Pierce, Jr. Member
Posted: 07 June 2013 04:40 PM   Total Posts: 40   [ # 1 ]

First of all, you want to make sure that your characters are actually using the gpu for animation. With very few characters on screen, the cpu fallback is usually sufficient, but performance falls dramatically with the rendering of additional characters, whereas gpu animation alleviates this issue greatly. For any class implementing the IAnimationSet interface, there is a read-only boolean property named usesCPU. Trace out this property from a single instance of the character to determine if your character is suitable to gpu animation (returns false). If you character is too expensive, you will have to find a way to simplify the joint system, possibly by simply reducing the jointsPerVertex of the skin weights, or use a simpler character if reduction is impractical. Refer to this thread for a description of some of the limitations:

http://away3d.com/forum/viewthread/807/#2648

Additionally, you should note that by cloning the entire character controller, all of your characters will be bound to the exact same animation at the same time, so that if one jumps, all of them jump, and so on. The optimal implementation of multiple independent characters requires they all have their own controllers, but that everything reusable possible (geometry, materials, animation sets, etc.) is a clone.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X