Away3D 3.6 Z-Sorting bug

Software: Away3D 3.x

Darcey, Moderator
Posted: 21 July 2011 08:01 PM   Total Posts: 209

Hi all,

I’ve posted in the groups but will duplicate here also.

I just setup a scene for a job with 6 cubes with about a 100 pixel gap specified. And the scene can be tilted and panned a couple of degrees. The Z-Sorting on Away3D version 3.6 gets it way wrong. EG:

http://www.allforthecode.co.uk/away3d/bug/

So I went hunting to find out why… Early results reveal the problem has been around since Away3D version 3.5.2.

Away3D version 3.5.0 to 3.0 have no problems with the Z-Sorting in this scene. I’ve also tried it with Away3D Lite which has no problems either.

So this appears to be a bug since Away3D version 3.5.2 was released and has come along the journey.

Now trying to port Away3D 3.5 core render folder to Away3D 3.6 hoping this is where rendering is done and fixes things.

Anyone got a solution for this in Away3D 3.6?

Thanks

Darcey

Darcey, Moderator
Posted: 21 July 2011 08:03 PM   Total Posts: 209   [ # 1 ]

erm… lol porting core renderer from 3.5.0 to 3.6 is out of my league…

Guess I will revert to Number3D and 3.5.0

Darcey, Moderator
Posted: 22 July 2011 09:46 AM   Total Posts: 209   [ # 2 ]

For anyone experiencing issues with Z sorting and cubes.

If you must use 3.6 - It appears alpha and ownCanvas properties effect the result also. Also appears turning on frustrum and nearfield clipping during these times can help - for me it fixes all the cubes bar the furthest right (strange).

NOTE: The following don’t work but gladly doesn’t as this usually ends a projects feasibility unless you and the target audience have a liquid nitrogen cooled cpu and graphics card.

Renderer.CORRECT_Z_ORDER// Doesn't fix cube menu Z sorting issues
Renderer.INTERSECTING_OBJECTS// Doesn't fix cube menu Z sorting issues 

John Brookes, Moderator
Posted: 22 July 2011 10:58 AM   Total Posts: 732   [ # 3 ]

Put each cube in a layer (rendersession) and sort based on distance from the camera.

Darcey, Moderator
Posted: 22 July 2011 11:13 AM   Total Posts: 209   [ # 4 ]

I will give that a test in a demo project and new article for my site, for just the 6 cubes you see on that link above.

But may be a bit too much for the project I’m working on.  I have 3.5 implemented now, the current project I’m working on requires a dynamic amount of cubes at many many levels on the Z axis.

I’m not sure it will be feasible to write a routine for recursive looping through n layers with n cubes inside with each cube on its own layer and sort via camera rotation and then to optimise it. For some reason an isometric game display object sorting routine comes to mind. :\

But thanks for the pointer, all info and help is appreciated.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X