Problem 3ds models parsing on server

Software: Away3D 4.x

jong2x, Newbie
Posted: 20 September 2012 11:41 AM   Total Posts: 6

I have an away 3D project using 3ds models and it is currently running on my computer with no problem but when i tried deploying it on a local server just to test it if it will work online, it loads the file but then it doesn’t parse the contents. Can you help me out what seems to be the problem with it?

The .3ds file I’m dealing is a scene full of objects/materials. The dependency materials (.jpg) are in all relative path. I tried loading it in a pc and it’s perfectly loading and parsing completely, but when deployed on a local server, it load the .3ds file but isn’t parsing.

I tried using to load AWD format and it’s loading and then parsing completely. But i don’t want to use this format right now since it doesn’t work well with my models (it misplace some objects in some positions).

Maybe you can help me take a look at this and check if this works on your end. I appreciate your help. smile

jong2x, Newbie
Posted: 20 September 2012 11:45 AM   Total Posts: 6   [ # 1 ]

BTW, i’m using Away3D v4.09

Fabrice Closier, Administrator
Posted: 20 September 2012 01:38 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 2 ]

and what errors do you get from your LoaderEvent.LOAD_ERROR event?

if you call a few of your images and the file, from your browser. No error? If yes, check out your server mimes.

Regarding awd2. I do work dayly with them. Using Prefab. I never seen or heard any issues regarding translation.
If you get this issue from Prefab files or If you are using another exporter.
Either way, please fill a bug with files (the original+awd) to reproduce so we can do something about it, if proven to be incorrect. Please add version of exporter, your editor version and OS as well. Thank you.

jong2x, Newbie
Posted: 21 September 2012 01:40 AM   Total Posts: 6   [ # 3 ]

1. When testing on the local server, no errors pops up, it just stops in the parsing phase… (let me try again just to make sure, i’ll also check the mimes)

2. For the AWD models, I’m using the 3d Max 2012 (64bit) exporter. As i’ve said, when i tried using this, some of the models when rendered are being misplaced in the scene. That’s why i resorted to .3ds format.

BTW, this is the exporter i used for AWD.
http://code.google.com/p/awd/downloads/list
>> maxawd_2012_64_v1.0.2.zip

Just a question, what’s the difference with AWDParser, AWD1Parser, AWD2Parser? How do i determine which is which to use for a particular AWD file.

jong2x, Newbie
Posted: 21 September 2012 04:29 AM   Total Posts: 6   [ # 4 ]

I think i solved this one now. So here, just to let you know how my experience was so as to help someone who’ve stumble upon this too. smile

First was, I tested if the file was downloadable by checking their “bytesTotal, bytesLoaded”. When testing, it shows downloading progress. I guess the files are accessible. Then i just noticed when the parsing started, it suddenly stopped.

I tested this with 2 servers, it worked with the windows server, while the other server (i think Linux) didn’t. I just realized, there must be something wrong with the case sensitivity of the material/filenames.

Then, I traced all the Asset Materials that were completely being parsed.

LOADER3D = new Loader3D();
LOADER3D.loadData(MY_MODEL());
LOADER3D.addEventListener(AssetEvent.ASSET_COMPLETE, AssetComplete);

private function AssetComplete(e:AssetEvent):void {

/*
Here, I found out that all the .jpg are turned to uppercase. I’m not sure though if 3ds Max exporter was the culprit of turning the asset images to uppercase or was that the Max3dsParser’s doing.
*/
trace(AssetEvent(e).asset.name);
}

Simple solution:
I turned all my dependency materials (e.g., “BOAT.JPG”, “MAN.PNG”) to uppercase, then re-exported all the models to .3ds

This fixed my problem…

Fabrice Closier, Administrator
Posted: 21 September 2012 08:59 AM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 5 ]

Glad you found a fix.

regarding awd 1 and 2:
awd1 was developped for away 2.x, flash 9 and 10, ascii based.
no longer developped.
awd2 for away 4 and higher is a binary format. extensible and currently under development.
having import/exports and parsers for awd1 allows you to upgrade previous projects to a4, to offer f11 to f10 fallbacks. You can also use some Prefab1 features and port them to prefab2 and vice versa via awd1.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X