Adobe + Away3D = VideoTexture? C’mon already!

Software: Away3D 4.x

Lucid, Member
Posted: 30 July 2012 11:58 AM   Total Posts: 93

Now that Adobe and Away3D are finally working together on a formal level, can we PLEASE see an efficient VideoTexture come to fruition? I’m talking about hardware accelerated HD H.264 video textures running entirely off the GPU.

While I’ve managed for write my own custom VideoTexture classes that provide reasonably good performance, it would be preferable to see Adobe grant Away3D access to the underlying frameworks so the VideoTexture class can really perform well.

Richard Olsson, Administrator
Posted: 30 July 2012 12:46 PM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 1 ]

Please do not double post. I removed your other thread.

I agree that what you’re asking for would be nice. We have little more power than the general community when it comes to requesting features in the player, though. Sure, we can talk to Thibault about it, but in the end the main reason for why they’d prioritize one feature over another is if they get requests from a larger user base. So please do e-mail the public figures at Adobe, and/or file a feature request in their bug database.

I’d be interested to know why you wrote your own VideoTexture class when there is already a VideoTexture in Away3D. Did you identify any problems with the existing implementation that you were able to work around yourself? If so, we would greatly appreciate a feature request, patch or pull request containing those improvements.

If you do have some code you’d like us to include, please file such feature concrete feature/pull requests through GitHub.

Lucid, Member
Posted: 14 August 2012 10:00 AM   Total Posts: 93   [ # 2 ]

To provide a more efficient and powerful VideoTexture, Adobe needs to provide ‘access to the raw video mem slot from agal’. (the image still on gpu, the result of the HW decoder of the video codec).

Apparently, until this happens, the VideoTexture cannot evolve further.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X