Can i already use away3d and Molehill?

Software: Away3D 4.x

Superflat, Newbie
Posted: 01 July 2011 09:30 PM   Total Posts: 3

A project requires that I use molehill and away3d. Am i able to to use these things for the project? I need to generate a projector file.

The model i use is 11k triangles so i need Molehill to support these amounts of triangles.

2nd question: can i scrub through the animation of a model? Am i able to make a slider component that would act as a seekbar of a movie and play the animation as per the users interaction with the bar?

Alejandro Santander, Administrator
Posted: 02 July 2011 08:05 AM   Total Posts: 414   [ # 1 ]

Hey Superflat,

Away3D 4.x is based on Adobe Flash Player 11, which is not yet official. Someone could say yes, go ahead with using 4.x but, the thing is, no one can’t guarantee that Flash Player 11 will come out (and when it will come out) with the GPU features 4.x is based on. So you must answer this yourself: You don’t know if the technology will be supported, when it will be supported, and given that it is, how many people will have access to it in the short term, having installed FP11 in their system after it becomes official. Nobody can guarantee this other than Adobe in their official announcements. When, and if, it does become official, you will see a lot of buzz here and all around the web.

11k triangles is a piece of cake for Molehill. FP9 was 3000, FP10 is 10000, FP11 would be around 4000000 triangles.

About animations, yep, you can do that with Away3D 4.x

Superflat, Newbie
Posted: 02 July 2011 09:31 AM   Total Posts: 3   [ # 2 ]

Thanks for the information,

To play it save, i could reduce the triangle count to below 10k and build the project for FP10.

Posted: 02 July 2011 04:38 PM   Total Posts: 414   [ # 3 ]

In that case you would need to use Away3DLite. I’m not sure if Away3D 3.x has been updated to have the speed and power of lite. Keep in mind that lite has a smaller set of features, meaning its harder to do some things with it. Even with that, to have 10k in lite requires that you be careful and tidy to have good performance.

Superflat, Newbie
Posted: 02 July 2011 04:52 PM   Total Posts: 3   [ # 4 ]

I see, well the tech requirements are that i can control what frame of the animation is played. From the docs i saw that i could get the current frame and use gotoandstop so i could build my own seekbar for the animation.

It’s an instructional video with some video on the background and a 3d overlay of a model doing some animation.

I’d need to be able to fade certain objects in and out. Control what frame of the animation is being played and tween the camera around the scene. Maybe some ambient occlusion!

Is away3Dlite the way to go?

Posted: 02 July 2011 06:51 PM   Total Posts: 414   [ # 5 ]

Yep, sure. That would be my recommendation. What do you mean by ambient occlusion?

Superflat, Newbie
Posted: 03 July 2011 10:42 AM   Total Posts: 3   [ # 6 ]

Ambient Occlusion is a shading type smile

While i’m typing, how could i setup a slider control to scrub through an animation? Some of the tutorials on the site aren’t linking correctly.

I setup a slider with a minimum of 0 and the maximum to the length of the animation but that’s in seconds.

First off, how do i access the correct length of 1 animation and how do i apply a new value to it? I saw gotoandplay come by in the docs somewhere.

Posted: 03 July 2011 05:43 PM   Total Posts: 414   [ # 7 ]

I don’t think you can do ambient occlusion out of the box with 3.x or lower. Not sure if it is even a feature of 4.x. There is however a tutorial about similar topocs in David Lenaerts’ blog: http://www.derschmale.com/

About the animation slider you want to do, I’m sure that if you analyze 3.x’s animation system, you should be able to get what you want.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X