Collada loading error

Software: Away3D Lite

davecates, Newbie
Posted: 01 July 2011 01:14 PM   Total Posts: 4

Hello,

I’m working on a viewer application that loads collada files so that they can be viewed within a browser.

All was working well with Rob’s Mario character as a prototype model but, now I go and load in the client’s Collada files the code fails saying a script has been running for too long - a classic flash player timeout.

The client Collada files have been created with “FBX COLLADA exporter” and do not contain any library animations. Is this a problem??

Any help would be greatly appreciated. More than happy to attach a supplied file for you to have a look at - will list a link though since the files are about 30Mb.

Thanks!

Richard Olsson, Administrator
Posted: 01 July 2011 02:20 PM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 1 ]

The problem is most likely that the models are too heavy. What kind of polycounts are we talking about? If your files are 30mb the it’s probably in the fifth order of magnitude, right? That is roughly 100 times more than what Away3D lite is capable of rendering.

davecates, Newbie
Posted: 01 July 2011 02:26 PM   Total Posts: 4   [ # 2 ]

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply…so would the standard Away 3D be capable of rendering this scale of file?

Posted: 01 July 2011 02:28 PM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 3 ]

First of all I still need to know the total polycount (number of triangles) in the mesh/scene you are trying to render, to be able to assess whether it’s even something you’ll be able to achieve through optimization.

But to answer your question, no. If Away3D lite can’t do it (performance-wise) then regular Away3D 3.x likely can’t either. Away 4.0 for Flash Player 11 is more likely to be able to render your mesh though.

davecates, Newbie
Posted: 01 July 2011 02:37 PM   Total Posts: 4   [ # 4 ]

Ok, best if you have a look at one of the file yourself…

http://www.redemptionmedia.co.uk/test_files/teapot.dae.zip (just remove the .zip extension)

This is one of the smaller ones - approx 17Mb.

If the file is too large/complex I’ll just have to ask the client to rework the files. They’re high res captures of physical objects for a museum.

Thanks!

Posted: 01 July 2011 04:19 PM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 5 ]

You need to keep the total number of triangles in your scene down to around ~3000. So yeah, you’re probably best off asking for new, low-res models from your client.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X