Away3d 4 “Multiple 3d Loader”

Software: Away3D 4.x

jtopaz, Member
Posted: 01 July 2011 04:42 PM   Total Posts: 53

Away3d 4 new “Loader3D, AssetLoader” is better than the old loader but I still can’t find any multiple 3d loader in away3d. Is there any plans to do one?

Can I use other multiple file loader lib (like bulkloader) together with away3d? Will it violate the loading procedure in away3d?

Mr Margaret Scratcher, Sr. Member
Posted: 01 July 2011 05:40 PM   Total Posts: 344   [ # 1 ]

I’d be interested to know this too, I’ve yet to use bulkloader but I downloaded it when planning to do loading optimisations ie making sure that the certain things had priority over others..

Richard Olsson, Administrator
Posted: 02 July 2011 03:56 PM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 2 ]

What exactly are the features that you are missing in AssetLoader (or Loader3D) which you would get from something like BulkLoader? If you initiate multiple loads using a single AssetLoader, AssetLibrary or Loader3D the loads will be queued up exactly as they would in something like BulkLoader. The only important thing that I feel is missing right now is a way to track progress, and that is something that is under consideration still.

Please specify what exactly you feel is missing.

Posted: 02 July 2011 04:30 PM   Total Posts: 344   [ # 3 ]

Mainly, to be able to bump things up and down, prioritywise.. If I have a scene with various object in various places, the one which are not visible should be less of a priority, and then to be able to change their priority should the viewpoint change (rather than continuing to try to load the object which is now off screen)

To be honest, what I’m trying to do was more to do with loading textures, namely various sized/quality versions, for a virtual DVD shop. So rather than loading a large image for an item that is far away, a lo res version is loaded, and then as you get closer a higher res version is loaded, but obviously if that high res version starts, and then you turn to look away from that set of DVDs to another set, the loading of that high res image should be moved to a lower priority than the loading of the DVDs that you are now facing..

So in that respect, it’s probably just normal loader functions I’m using, rather than anything specifically to do with away3d..

You can see an example of what I’m talking about if you go to http://videoemporium.co.uk and c,lick the TV logo up in the top left.

At the mo, there is no high/low detail textures, but if you click and drag to look around, you’ll see that the textures for the DVDs are only loaded if they are in view..

SasMaster, Sr. Member
Posted: 16 July 2011 11:38 AM   Total Posts: 127   [ # 4 ]

Mainly, to be able to bump things up and down, prioritywise.. If I have a scene with various object in various places, the one which are not visible should be less of a priority, and then to be able to change their priority should the viewpoint change (rather than continuing to try to load the object which is now off screen)

I think you have a slight mistake in your concept in the first place.You can get into a lot of problems if you want to load certain objects only when their coordinates enter the frustum volume.You must remember that the asset loading is made via the net which is not always stable.And what if your FPS character came to an area that had to be populated by dynamically loaded geometry but it has not happened ,let’s say,due to a sudden low bandwidth of user’s net connection? It means that your app is screwed up! Your user can result in viewing partial geometry with no textures ,missing meshes or even witnessing the gradual appearance of the loaded stuff -one of the ugliest bugs I think the end user can see.So my suggestion to you -load all the assets in the beginning .You don’t have do deploy them all.And you can even start the app flow and still proceed the loading of the rest of the assets in the background.But don’t take a chance with “load on demand” system unless those assets are really lightweight (but I would not risk it in such a case ether wink .Personally I find AssetsLoader a very nice implementation, especially after the AssetLibraryIterator was added.Additional feature I would like to see here is the ability to pass an array of URLS to load from.But doing it manually is not too much pain anyways smile .

Signature 

This looks like a job for superman
http://blog.alladvanced.net

Posted: 20 July 2011 01:31 AM   Total Posts: 344   [ # 5 ]

In most cases I’d agree with you, but for what I’m working on immediacy is quite a big factor.

It’s a virtual DVD shop, with roughly 5000 titles. Now, depending on where you are in the shop, most of these titles won’t be visible, so it’s counter productive to make a customer wait for all 5000 images (15,000 images if you cound fronts, back and spines) if all they wanty to do is have a quick look at just one of the shelves..

SasMaster, Sr. Member
Posted: 20 July 2011 06:10 AM   Total Posts: 127   [ # 6 ]

In this case why you need anything new? Use the BulkLoader. I used it a lot with Away3D 3.6 for multiloading and it is a very nice tool for that kind of work/

Signature 

This looks like a job for superman
http://blog.alladvanced.net

Posted: 20 July 2011 02:05 PM   Total Posts: 344   [ # 7 ]

Yep, I’ve yet to actually use it, but it seems ideal for this type of thing…

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X