LookAt for Plane backwards?

Software: Away3D 4.x

Choons, Sr. Member
Posted: 21 June 2011 04:25 AM   Total Posts: 281

been banging my head against a wall trying to figure out why the plane I am applying a lookAt(view.camera.position) to becomes invisible in my scene. If I change the material to bothSides = true the plane becomes visible. So apparently the plane doesn’t lookAt the specified position with the side the material is applied to. Setting bothSides = true on the material seems a likely waste of resources since there’s no way I can ever see the other side of the plane with it always facing the camera.

The only reason I’m trying to do this with a plane instead of a Sprite3D is because I rotate the camera about the axis along its line of sight which also causes Sprite3D’s to rotate along that axis as well. That’s a big problem if you are using Sprite3D’s for trees or clouds for instance. I’m fine with using a plane instead, but I’d expect that lookAt(view.camera.position) on a plane would behave the same as how a Sprite3D faces the camera with its textured side.

Stephen Hopkins, Sr. Member
Posted: 21 June 2011 08:04 AM   Total Posts: 110   [ # 1 ]

did you try providing your own up vector?

Signature 

http://www-scf.usc.edu/~shopkins

Choons, Sr. Member
Posted: 21 June 2011 08:38 AM   Total Posts: 281   [ # 2 ]

thanks for the reply, but frankly why should I have to do that? I can’t think of a good reason that lookAt on a plane doesn’t automatically orient the plane with the textured side toward the position in question.

John Brookes, Moderator
Posted: 21 June 2011 08:56 AM   Total Posts: 732   [ # 3 ]

All the primitives have a forward along the zAxis.
So I guess the reason is why the plane material is (on the wrong side) when added to the scene, with a default camera, is its visible.

//Flip the face
MeshHelper.invertFaces(plane);

or invert the camera postion passed to lookat

var invCamPos:Vector3D = view.camera.position.clone();
invCamPos.negate();
plane.lookAt(invCamPos);

or just use doubleSided, the other side isnt drawn.

Choons, Sr. Member
Posted: 21 June 2011 05:15 PM   Total Posts: 281   [ # 4 ]

thanks, John. You always have great solutions. Actually when I add the plane to the scene it is visible with bothSides = false on the material. It’s only when I do plane.lookAt(view.camera.position) that it becomes invisible. Seems to me that shouldn’t happen without needing helpers or additional manipulations

Manuel L., Member
Posted: 13 December 2012 02:05 PM   Total Posts: 99   [ # 5 ]

hey guys, i have a similar problem.

i have created a plane on which i put a material of a woman.
everything is okay, but i want that this plane is always looking at the camera position, so nobody can go behind the person to see that it is a plane. no big deal i thought, but when i start the lookAt(view.camera.position), the (plane) woman goes from vertical to horizontal and is (f)lying.

So my question, how can i set the point of the plane, that is lookingAt?
Which point is the criterion of the lookAt? Do You understand what i mean?

Manuel L., Member
Posted: 18 December 2012 09:54 AM   Total Posts: 99   [ # 6 ]

?

John Brookes, Moderator
Posted: 18 December 2012 11:24 AM   Total Posts: 732   [ # 7 ]

var camPos:Vector3D = view.camera.position.clone();
camPos.negate();
camPos.y = plane.y;
plane.lookAt(camPos);

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login