DRIV: (no view)

Software: Away3D 4.x

random, Newbie
Posted: 17 July 2012 05:56 PM   Total Posts: 10

Hi Everyone, and thank you very much for being here to hopefully answer a question for me.

Firstly I should note briefly that my goal is simply to get some type of relatively stable physics engine working with away3d.  I had done this previously with jiglib and away3d but it has been a few years and things seem to be changing rapidly.

After trying to mix-match every possible combination of jiglib with versions of away3d I started looking for alternatives, and so far awayphysics seemed easy enough to compile and the demos look promising.

I am trying to compile an example file with the latest packages I have found here:

Away3D
http://away3d.com/download/

AwayPhysics
https://github.com/away3d/awayphysics-core-fp11

And I am using Flex4.6 compiler on LInux. 

This set up works fine when compiling pure Away3D, but seems to have a problem when getting into physics.  However I can view the demos just fine, and everything else I’ve ever compiled with Flex 4.6 works just fine, so I’m hesitant to believe it is a problem with Linux or Flex.

I managed to get BasicTest.as and another example to compile, but when I view them they just have a black screen with the usage monitor, and next to DRIV it says: n/a (no view).

Do you know what might be wrong here?  Am I missing something?

Are there older more stable away3D + engine solutions that I could still find available somewhere?

Richard Olsson, Administrator
Posted: 17 July 2012 10:23 PM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 1 ]

The reason why the stats panel says n/a (no view) is because you are probably not passing a view instance to it when you are creating the panel.

In most cases, you’ll want to create an AwayStats panel like so:

addChild(new AwayStats(myView)); 

As far as your view not rendering, are you sure you’re setting the correct wmode, are using the right flash player version et c? Do you have a debugger version so that you would notice if there were errors being thrown?

random, Newbie
Posted: 18 July 2012 05:54 AM   Total Posts: 10   [ # 2 ]

Thanks for your reply!

I am focusing on the BasicTest.as found with awayphysics-examples-fp11 and I am using fp11.  It has the following code set properly as you said.

_view = new View3D();
this.addChild(_view);
this.addChild(new AwayStats(_view)); 

And the stats window does show, but it says DRIV: n/a (no view) and the screen is just black with no rendering going on.  However you can see in the stats that there is some processing going on, so apparently the work is being done, but not displaying.

All demos I’ve seen online work fine, so I think the player is not the problem.

I didn’t know what wmode was, so when I looked that up found that mxmlc has a compiler option of “use-direct-blit” which you set to true or false.  I’m not sure which is correct, but I tried both and still had a black screen.

This is my full mxmlc command:

mxmlc -source-path awayphysics/src away3d-core-gold/src -use-direct-blit=false -static-link-runtime-shared-libraries=true "BasicTest.as" 

Perhaps I should play around more with compiler options, does anyone have any suggestions for that?

I do not have the debug version of Flash installed, I have yet to need it, but perhaps for this bleeding edge stuff I will have to give it a go.

I will let you know the results of further testing, and if there are any more suggestions please fire at will!

Posted: 18 July 2012 08:31 AM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 3 ]

Please do install the debug player. You never need it, because statistically you could always solve any error with trial and error as long as you have infinite amount of time, but with the debug player chances are you would get an error message straight away instead.

The wmode is a parameter that you set in you HTML. If you’re running your SWF standalone you don’t need to do anything. But if you do embed it in HTML you have to set the wmode parameter to “direct”, otherwise Stage3D will be disabled, and an error wil be thrown.

random, Newbie
Posted: 19 July 2012 02:13 PM   Total Posts: 10   [ # 4 ]

Thank you very much for your clear response!  It is funny that I have gotten as far as I have and didn’t realize that wmode had to be set!

That was the problem.

I am developing in Linux with Vim as my editor, no IDE.  I am very happy that I can do this and and so far haven’t had any problems besides this.

Since I am hand-coding everything it is easy to miss these details.  Do you have any beginners set up tutorials that state the wmode param?  I’m surprised I missed it.  I also think there should be tutorials for people like myself who choose their own custom IDE or text editor. 

I would be happy to contribute such a tutorial myself as well, is that possible and where would I submit it?

Thanks again!

Posted: 19 July 2012 02:30 PM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 5 ]

Please go ahead and create a tutorial and post it on your website or blog or whatever. We might link to it, or we might incorporate it into this website, with your permission of course.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X