Creating a MD5 file in blender for Away3d - can’t get it done

Software: Away3D 4.x

Biegzie, Jr. Member
Posted: 07 June 2012 10:51 PM   Total Posts: 39

Can someone please tell me the blender version / MD5 exporter I need to use, and how to use it / maybe send me a stickman example with bones animation.

I’m not getting there.. Can someone help me out? I need to make a walking stick-like person. 2 modes (walk, and wait)... But I’m new to blender / skeletons and MD5.

Thx!

Baush, Sr. Member
Posted: 08 June 2012 03:29 AM   Total Posts: 135   [ # 1 ]

The Blender -> MD5 -> Away3D pipeline is quite complex. I would need to write a tutorial eventually, but here’s a few pointers:

- Install the MD5 Export script in blender
http://www.katsbits.com/smforum/index.php?topic=167.0

- Build a character Mesh, then build and armature, then assign the armature as the mesh’s parent

- Create an action, and set your timeline to the amount of frames for the animation

- Create a second action

- Select both the armature and the mesh, then export only the .md5mesh
ex: character.md5mesh

- With both mesh and armature selected with an active action, export the .md5anim only
ex: walk.md5anim

- Again with both selected, change the action and export the other animation
ex: run.md5anim

- Then, in the AS3 code you will need to load all 3 files and programmatically link your mesh to either AnimationState.

Let me know if you need more details on the actionscript end. I suggest you take a look at the sample files that handles MD5.

Shegl, Sr. Member
Posted: 08 June 2012 06:06 AM   Total Posts: 134   [ # 2 ]

Biegzie.. It’s a bit hard to make proper model in blender in md5.
I tryied 1 month for it and finaly make only low poly(about 100 faces) model and still were are some bugs with vertex heights.. also u will need before export flip normals and other stuff…

Finaly I’m just use Old Maya with export dll for Doom3. Work perfectly.. No bugs at all. And I was very sad for wasted 1 month for blender and md5export script..

Biegzie, Jr. Member
Posted: 08 June 2012 09:35 AM   Total Posts: 39   [ # 3 ]

Tried it again in blender, without succes. Is there someone in the community who can make it happen? Just a few bones, some cubes attached, but in the way that the export to md5 works.

Shegl, Sr. Member
Posted: 08 June 2012 10:51 AM   Total Posts: 134   [ # 4 ]

2Biegzie.

I give up with blender and md5 (Trying export right model for FREAKING MONTH). And then just open Maya and make my model works and looks great for 1 day.

I’m not telling u to give up. May be u better then me in Blender. And then u finaly did it please report for your tutorial “How to easly export md5 model by Blender” .

Biegzie, Jr. Member
Posted: 08 June 2012 11:01 AM   Total Posts: 39   [ # 5 ]

I don’t know how maya works. Can you make me a quick 2minute model like a cube for arm,leg,head,torso / bones and tell me how to export it. Is that possible for you? -> this is for maya

thx for the quick reply

Baush, Sr. Member
Posted: 08 June 2012 11:31 AM   Total Posts: 135   [ # 6 ]

I read somewhere that in Blender you should avoid having any vertex with no weight, so make sure to have some weight on each vertex.

Also try to have the bones always within the mesh, bones sticking out will result in weird deformation once loaded in away3d

Your mesh and armature should remain at a scale of 1 (I usually use the lock to scale the object’s scalex,y,z.

Use Blender 2.60 (not the recent version). I have been getting weird exports (or non-functionning export script) in later versions

That’s all I can think of for now. Hope this helps!

Shegl, Sr. Member
Posted: 08 June 2012 12:42 PM   Total Posts: 134   [ # 7 ]

Ok now First step:
Make your model in Blender Triangulate and Export in Obj. Then Import this model in Maya.

Shegl, Sr. Member
Posted: 08 June 2012 12:56 PM   Total Posts: 134   [ # 8 ]

Now Second step. Create joints from one bone. When they will fit to ur mesh use Smooth Bind tool. Then Animate your mesh and Save as Maya Binary.

Shegl, Sr. Member
Posted: 08 June 2012 12:58 PM   Total Posts: 134   [ # 9 ]

then create definition file for Doom3

In our case:

export sample {
       options 
-sourcedir def/sample/ -destdir def/sample/

mesh sample.mb      -dest sample.md5mesh
       anim sample
.mb  -dest sample.md5anim

Shegl, Sr. Member
Posted: 08 June 2012 01:21 PM   Total Posts: 134   [ # 10 ]

then start Doom3 and open Console and type:
exportmodels sample/sample.def
And Doom3 engine will compile perfect and TRUE models md5.
Low weights, perfect animation.

Shegl, Sr. Member
Posted: 08 June 2012 01:23 PM   Total Posts: 134   [ # 11 ]

Here are sources of this Little tutorial “Md5 proped model from Nothing and only for 5 min”.

File Attachments
sample.zip  (File Size: 30KB - Downloads: 225)

Biegzie, Jr. Member
Posted: 09 June 2012 04:22 AM   Total Posts: 39   [ # 12 ]

you need the doom3 game to build the mesh?

Shegl, Sr. Member
Posted: 09 June 2012 06:19 AM   Total Posts: 134   [ # 13 ]

Lol Biegzie did u read specification of this format ?

http://tfc.duke.free.fr/coding/md5-specs-en.html

“The MD5 model format comes from id Software’s Doom 3 first person shooter, released in august 2004. The mesh data and animation data are separated in distinct files. These are ASCII files and are human readable. Here are some generalities about the MD5 format:”

And ID Software had using Maya and compile mayabinary files to md5 by they compiler. And this compiler are embedded in doom3 game too…

So doom3 and maya is natural md5 compilers. And the other stuff like blender 3dsmax exporters created by funboys.

Biegzie, Jr. Member
Posted: 09 June 2012 10:40 AM   Total Posts: 39   [ # 14 ]

ok, thx a lot, will try it today..

Shegl, Sr. Member
Posted: 09 June 2012 11:54 AM   Total Posts: 134   [ # 15 ]

u need maya 4.5 - 2011 and specific MayaImportx86.dll for your version of Maya. You can find all files you needed on forum thedarkmod.com/

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X