Newbie help

Software: Away3D 4.x

steros, Newbie
Posted: 15 October 2011 10:04 AM   Total Posts: 19

I’m sure !‘m making a very basic and stupid mistake but I can’t find what I’m doing wrong.

A few weeks ago I decided to make the step from PV3D to Away3D but I still didn’t get anything done with Away3D. I’m trying to use the Away3D library that I just downloaded from here: http://away3d.com/download/ .

The moment I add the content of the src-folder to the src-folder in my actionscriptProject (Flash Builder 4.5 = FB) the problems start. FB tells me there are errors within the Away3D library. One of the many errors is in away3d.cameras.lenses.LenseBase.as where a unknown function copyFrom is called in this line: _unprojection.copyFrom(matrix);

With errors in the library FB does not allow me to use it.
I added a screenshot from my workspace and library I hope that will explain it better than I can do with words.

I’d really appreciate the help. I have some projects to finish :D
So thanks in advance and wish you a great day!

PS: when I click on Tutorials here on the webpage I get no content. Is that how it’s suppose to be? I’m sure my question would be answered by some basic turorials.

Richard Olsson, Administrator
Posted: 15 October 2011 11:13 AM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 1 ]

The version you have downloaded (Away3D 4.0 alpha) is built for Flash Player 11, and you have probably not set your IDE up for FP11 development. Please see the following tutorial on how to get started:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/creating-games-away3d.html

steros, Newbie
Posted: 18 October 2011 08:23 AM   Total Posts: 19   [ # 2 ]
Richard Olsson - 15 October 2011 11:13 AM

The version you have downloaded (Away3D 4.0 alpha) is built for Flash Player 11, and you have probably not set your IDE up for FP11 development. Please see the following tutorial on how to get started:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/creating-games-away3d.html

Thank you for your quick reply.
I’m currently going through that tutorial. I had already installed the latest Flash Player 11 Content Debugger version and have now the latest SDK installed.
At step 3, I’ve downloaded the playerglobal.swc. In the tutorial he does not specify how to use that file. If I go to project properties > Actionscript build path > There I see a button that says add swc. So I used that to add the swc. Is that the right way? I will continue with the tutorial but if I’m already going wrong here I’d like to know. At the moment (after adding the swc) I get the following error: VerifyError: Error #1014: Class flash.display3D.textures::Texture could not be found.

Thanks in advance!
Steros

Posted: 18 October 2011 08:35 AM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 3 ]

Please continue reading the tutorial. The swc file is used in step six. And all of the steps in the first section are necessary to be able to compile for flash player 11.

steros, Newbie
Posted: 18 October 2011 09:45 AM   Total Posts: 19   [ # 4 ]

I’m sorry I didn’t read that yet. Stupid not to go on before posting another question.
At this point I’ve carefully read and did everything the tutorial asked of me until step 6. At this point he says the files should run without any errors. I do get some errors.
When I compile the file it stops at 57% and gives me the index.template.html (in my html-editor) and stops for a while. For that moment see screenshot_1.png.
After about two minutes it returns an error you can see in screenshot_2.png. 

I also noticed that flash player debugger did not get launched. So I searched my computer on flash player debugger and the only version that it can find is the 10.2. But I ran the flash uninstaller and after installed the flash content debugger 11.

Now what?

PS:Thank you for your help so far! I’ve gotten a lot further. The tutorial is clear and very helpful.

Posted: 18 October 2011 09:54 AM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 5 ]

Sounds like you have configured your system and/or Flash Builder to open HTML files in “Taco HTML edit” instead of a browser. For that reason, the Flash Player never loads (like it would in a browser) and Flash Builder cannot connect to it for debugging. That’s why it stops at 57%. This is not an Away3D issue, but a configuration error on your (or your system’s) part.

Please go into the Flash Builder preferences and make sure that your Browser is defined as Firefox, Safari or any other browser that you have on your system. This will do two things; It will ensure that the project opens in a browser so you can actually see it running (instead of edit it’s HTML), and it will allow Flash Builder to connect for debugging, provided that you have the debug plug-in installed. If you don’t have the debug plug-in installed, download it from the Adobe site or use “Run” instead of “Debug” in Flash Builder to avoid the 57% stall (which of course also means you can’t debug your app).

steros, Newbie
Posted: 18 October 2011 10:21 AM   Total Posts: 19   [ # 6 ]

Thanks once again for your quick reply. I can’t wait until I can finally use this Away3D Library.
I didn’t change any of those configurations. But I did what you said and changed it to one of my browsers. Now it opens in that browser when I debug. No errors though raspberry But I want to develop so I need it to start in the flash player content debugger. As I sad earlier I did download that (flashplayer_11_plugin_debug_intel) and installed it. When I visit your guy’s home page and rightclick I can see it runs with flashPlayer 11. It did really install. But how can I get flash builder to use that debugger? Should that go automatically?

I think I’ve sad this earlier but when I search my computer I find 1 flash player and 2 flash player debuggers all version 10.2. What I did is download the flash player uninstaller and ran it. That I checked my computer again and there where still 1 version of flash player and one version of flash player debugger. I ran the uninstaller again but with no new result. After that I installed (flashplayer_11_plugin_debug_intel) again but it did not change anything… wait… should it be the plugin?

Thanks once again!

Posted: 18 October 2011 10:25 AM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 7 ]

What makes you think it’s not working? If you click “Debug” in Flash Builder (after installing the debugger, and relaunching browsers and Flash Builder) does it not work? Do you not get any trace output? Does it stall at 57%?

steros, Newbie
Posted: 18 October 2011 10:43 AM   Total Posts: 19   [ # 8 ]

Well… It works via the browser way :D that’s awesome. I get the trace output and it doesn’t stall at 57%. :D
But is that the way everyone works? Via the browser? Is the idea not that you don’t need your browser but you can run and debug you application without the browser, directly with the debugger?

steros, Newbie
Posted: 18 October 2011 10:57 AM   Total Posts: 19   [ # 9 ]

PS: if I change the standard program to open HTML to one of my browsers the same problem persist. But if I do what you say “Please go into the Flash Builder preferences and make sure that your Browser is defined as Firefox, Safari or any other browser that you have on your system.” That works :D
I still have the questions from my previous post though. smile
Thanks!

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X