AwayPhysics editor/level editor

Software: Away3D 4.x

hoksha the bald, Newbie
Posted: 06 May 2014 05:52 AM   Total Posts: 5

Hello,

I am planning to create my 3D game and I am still new to Away3D/AwayPhysics.
I am trying to create/plan my assets, levels work flow.
Since the levels will be simple enough, I can create it basically in DDC software, export it as Obj, then import it to Away Builder for final tuning.
But I am concerned about physics. How can I create collision basic shapes like boxes, cylinders, extra and load that to be used with AwayPhysics.
I know I can create these dynamically in code, but I think it will not work for a level with walls, stairs and so on.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks for advance.

Sandro, Newbie
Posted: 06 May 2014 07:16 AM   Total Posts: 10   [ # 1 ]

Yes, the theme is very interesting. Join a question.
On my part, there were attempts to make the physics editor. But still high complexity. It’s not easy - to dynamically create objects and relations in the editor, keep track of all objects.

Judging by how things are going with AwayBuilder (eg with skeletal animation), do not expect anything.
But if you put aside all the work, everything is possible wink

hoksha the bald, Newbie
Posted: 06 May 2014 01:42 PM   Total Posts: 5   [ # 2 ]

Thank you Sandro.
I hope there is an easy way.
I thought a little and I think of creating the required boxes and other collision primitives inside AwayBuilder, then tag them for physics use, and tag them as cylinder, cube, or whatever primitive best fit for it.
Inside the code, the items tagged for physics use should not appear and a ghost object with matching shape can be created to match the physics object created inside AwayBuilder.
I have not tested it yet, I will write again if I did.
Any other idea is greatly appreciated.

Sandro, Newbie
Posted: 06 May 2014 06:32 PM   Total Posts: 10   [ # 3 ]
hoksha the bald - 06 May 2014 01:42 PM

I hope there is an easy way.
I thought a little and I think of creating the required boxes and other collision primitives inside AwayBuilder, then tag them for physics use, and tag them as cylinder, cube, or whatever primitive best fit for it…

Interesting. I just tried to do so. In the editor the mesh has an object “extra” with the properties that may be used. For example, I wrote there the height of the cylinder. Further, when loading the mesh, read out extra properties and create a physical object-cylinder into place (as mesh.position), additionally linking it to the mesh. It works!
But more needs an idea: how can denoted constraints?

dlx, Newbie
Posted: 06 May 2014 08:08 PM   Total Posts: 12   [ # 4 ]

You should definitely give SEA3D a try!
It has a great online editor, native support for physics, as well as advanced materials, etc.
It’s rather buggy, the documentation is awful, but the support is great, the team behind this project is very responsive.

https://code.google.com/p/sea3d/

Also, the export format they use is pretty awesome (*.sea), super optimized and very fast to load.

We use it in production right now and it’s definitely more helpful than AwayBuilder or Prefab (great for prototyping anyway!)

Sandro, Newbie
Posted: 08 May 2014 12:29 PM   Total Posts: 10   [ # 5 ]

Some results of creating physics from grafical representations: http://youtu.be/h2u3Irv2Zto
Yesterday did p2p, today’s - hinge constraint.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X