Kinematic character controller and jitter

Software: Away3D 4.x

beers, Member
Posted: 01 May 2014 08:58 PM   Total Posts: 53

Any tips/tricks to get rid of the jitter when a kinematic character is walking into a corner? there seems to be a lot of jitter as the solver tries to reposition the character so it doesnt tunnel through the walls.

I’ve even tried to ditch the character controller altogether and use a kinematic sphere with ccd ‘sphere casting’ but that also has serious jitter issues as well.

Scaling the world up/down also makes no difference, as the amout of jitter scales as well.

Let me know if you have any good ideas on the subject,

beers

John Brookes, Moderator
Posted: 02 May 2014 09:17 AM   Total Posts: 732   [ # 1 ]

I would look at what your doing compared to the CharacterDemo. As that doesnt suffer from your issue.

beers, Member
Posted: 03 May 2014 02:32 AM   Total Posts: 53   [ # 2 ]

I wish it didnt but it does - walk into any corner (and keep walking into the corner) and the character/camera jitters. Its not a lot cause the camera is so far from the action but move in closer to see it more clearly. Make the character speed vector even larger (so it walks faster) and the jitter is more pronounced.

I think ill need to add a smoothing controller to the character.ghostObject.position every frame to iron this stuff out but that kinda adds a laggy effect to overall movement…

Thanks for the reply regardless - so many threads go unanswered. Ill definitely post a followup if i find a solid fix/workaround

beers

John Brookes, Moderator
Posted: 04 May 2014 09:09 AM   Total Posts: 732   [ # 3 ]

Tried walkspeed 1.9 and the camera is so close its inside the model.
Not seeing any jitter.

Not saying yours doesn’t just trying to work out why.

Using dev branch and physics example CharacterDemo

beers, Member
Posted: 04 May 2014 06:05 PM   Total Posts: 53   [ # 4 ]

Interesting… You would definitely see the jitter at a walking speed like that (walking into a corner - where you are actually pushing yourself into the corner rather than just walking towards a corner)  - especially if the camera is inside the monster model.

Let me go back and update all my source to dev branches - including the character physics demo and I’ll post back with results.

Thanks,
beers

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X