Best way to get Autodesk 3ds Max models into Away3D?

Software: Away3D 4.x

kaspar, Newbie
Posted: 22 August 2012 12:23 PM   Total Posts: 11

Hello all!

I have been Flash developer for 9 years now but just started with 3D, only done a few Papevision and Swift3D things before so this is all new to me…

I have a Autodesk 3ds Max model that the designer made and I’m trying to get it working in Away3D. The AWD exporter is not able to get even the meshes exported, I was able to get at least the meshes showing using Prefab3D to open .3ds export the .awd but there’s no textures or lighting.
My goal is to get the final result looking as close as possible to what it’s like in 3ds Max, hopefully with lighting and shaders.
Should I try other formats?
Are there any tips to follow when creating the model in Autodesk 3ds Max?

Thanks in advance,
K

Richard Olsson, Administrator
Posted: 22 August 2012 01:34 PM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 1 ]

There are no file formats that will transfer lighting and shading entirely from Max to Away3D. However, AWD should be enough to transfer geometry, animation and diffuse textures. If it doesn’t work for some reason, please help fixing the issue by filing a bug report describing the problem as closely as possible. AWD issues should be filed here: http://awdformat.org

Make sure you’re using the most recent version of both Away3D and the AWD exporter.

parele, Jr. Member
Posted: 22 August 2012 02:01 PM   Total Posts: 43   [ # 2 ]

“There are no file formats that will transfer lighting and shading entirely from Max to Away3D” this is incorrect ....

http://www.parele.net/test/earth.html  I made this entirely in max including the lights , baked materials and animated with action script…

Go to and stop “http://code.google.com/p/sea3d/” here you will find a tool which can help, does have limitations but iv tested just about every format available, different exporters with max and blender and the list goes on and found this to be the easiest to use:

unfortunately there’s not much documentation on the limitations and best practices , Trial an error…you need help let us know

Posted: 22 August 2012 02:19 PM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 3 ]

That’s cool. I’ve never heard about that file format.

Let me rephrase my answer then: There are no file formats that will transfer lighting and shading entirely from Max to vanilla Away3D, without any custom code. And even Sea3D probably won’t transfer any type of shading, simply because everything that’s possible in 3ds Max is not possible in a real-time rendering environment.

That said, I’ll take a closer look at Sea3D!

parele, Jr. Member
Posted: 22 August 2012 02:27 PM   Total Posts: 43   [ # 4 ]

we learn something everyday,

Posted: 22 August 2012 02:33 PM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 5 ]

Are you the developer of Sea3D, or how did you learn about it?

parele, Jr. Member
Posted: 22 August 2012 02:39 PM   Total Posts: 43   [ # 6 ]

im not even a programmer, didn’t even finish school lol just goggled and came across it.. l came across that about a month ago ... i was waiting for the awd 2 format ” hence i thought it would support the same characteristics as the sea3d but it didn’t…
i hope you guys could merge it into your own AWAY3d that would help a lot of others

Posted: 22 August 2012 02:42 PM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 7 ]

AWD supports most of those features. Actually, I would even guess that the Sea3D developers have had an eye on AWD2 judging by that feature list. But the 3ds Max exporter doesn’t support all the features that AWD supports, simply due to time constraints.

parele, Jr. Member
Posted: 22 August 2012 03:01 PM   Total Posts: 43   [ # 8 ]

Im guessing that the guys who came up with sea3d probably were paid by some company for quicker work flow than they publicized it..

Think more or less why i chose to use it as i use flash cs5 and most people, tutorials seem to use flex, i found it easier to incorporate it, and also when you download their zip they include the away3d library that it works with….little things like that help idiots like me .

if you ever get time try it out , any problems using the exporter let us know i know most of its limitations and work arounds…

parele, Jr. Member
Posted: 22 August 2012 03:04 PM   Total Posts: 43   [ # 9 ]

by the way i actually thought it was the away3d team who came up with that sea3d format, it just has that turtle i figured it was yours , lol

John Brookes, Moderator
Posted: 22 August 2012 03:04 PM   Total Posts: 732   [ # 10 ]

Richard
http://away3d.com/forum/viewthread/2236/

Jean Carlo Deconto, Newbie
Posted: 24 August 2012 10:28 AM   Total Posts: 29   [ # 11 ]

Hi!

I am very grateful to you for publicizing the SEA3D.

Currently I had to do SEA3D with the resources and knowledge passed by the company. Our goal is to facilitate a maximum of game development bringing a reliable tool for the company without limiting the possibilities of creation. I asked my friend Valdez create some models for a program that was doing by coincidence or not he did a beautiful turtle. As far as we speak he does knew nothing about Away3D beyond the name, was also a surprise to me.

My object is SEA3D go beyond just a file format, allowing also embed scripts for creating games. Currently want the artists generally have the ability to publish their work on the Internet so easily without having to know programming or something, enabling the use of the same for interactive applications including games.

I know that many people around the world are using this project, my biggest motivation to know that there are people who benefit from it.

I hope that the project will follow, I am preparing good features for him.

Cheers!

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X