Clipping Issue

Software: Away3D 4.x

gtcanto, Newbie
Posted: 02 October 2011 05:45 PM   Total Posts: 6

Basically, I have a one-sided plane and when I get close to it it starts clipping badly.

I can’t seem to find the proper method in Away3d 4 to fix this, and I would rather not just add more triangles to the plane.  I was able to find some things on view clipping and camera clipping, but the only bit I could find in the FP11 version is frustumplanes in the camera class.

Thanks!

Richard Olsson, Administrator
Posted: 02 October 2011 08:04 PM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 1 ]

In Away4 the clipping is done on the GPU by the Flash Player. All that Away3D does is some object culling (i.e. deciding which objects to send to the GPU.) So this sounds like a pretty weird issue. Can you upload a screenshot or even better, a demo?

gtcanto, Newbie
Posted: 02 October 2011 11:19 PM   Total Posts: 6   [ # 2 ]

I’m beginning to think it may be more of a culling issue, so I’m going to aim my googling efforts in that direction.  But for the time being I went ahead and put together a quck demo.

When you get real close to the floor and then look down it starts to disappear.
W = forward
A = left
S = down
D = right
Space = up
Mouse = looks around

LINK

Richard Olsson, Administrator
Posted: 02 October 2011 11:44 PM   Total Posts: 1192   [ # 3 ]

I see what you mean. That is clipping, but it’s “nearfield clipping”. You won’t be able to escape it, but you can change the distance from the camera at which it happens by adjusting the camera.lens.near property.

gtcanto, Newbie
Posted: 03 October 2011 12:31 AM   Total Posts: 6   [ # 4 ]

Thanks so much!  I knew there had to be an easy solution.  For anyone who stumbles upon this post I added this line and it pretty much fixed all my issues:
_view.camera.lens.near = 10;

Tareq Battat, Newbie
Posted: 02 April 2012 09:36 PM   Total Posts: 5   [ # 5 ]

is there any away to change near property of the camera in version 3.6 ?

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X