sprite sheet animation

Software: Away3D 4.x

pete shand, Newbie
Posted: 28 September 2011 10:50 AM   Total Posts: 21

Hi all

I’m building a small game with a 3d environment and 2d characters using away3d 4.0. For the 2d characters I’m thinking of using a png sequence on a single plane, or maybe a sprite… just wanting to know peoples thoughts on the best approach for this with fastest possible rendering.

for example i could apply a spritesheet via bitmapMaterial to a plane and then update the uv coordinates to the appropriate position each frame.

or (probably slower) have a bitmapMaterial for each frame and replace the material each frame.

or I’m sure there are a few other way?..

anyways I’ll probably give each a go… but just thought it would be a good idea to see if anyone else have any knowledge in this area.

Matse, Sr. Member
Posted: 28 September 2011 12:14 PM   Total Posts: 149   [ # 1 ]

Hi,

I’d probably start by looking at the AnimatedBitmapMaterial class, since it seems to be optimized for that kind of stuff, and see if I can extend it or just create my own out of it.

Alejandro Santander, Administrator
Posted: 28 September 2011 03:57 PM   Total Posts: 414   [ # 2 ]

Hey Pete, yeah have a look at that class but I’d say do experiment on your animated UV idea. You could use a sprite sheet for a character and just move through this sheet as if it was a timeline, quite interesting and efficient I’m sure.

If you do so and feel like reporting how it goes here, it would be awesome!

‹‹ Collada not working?

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X