FrustumClipping freezes animations

Software: Away3D 3.x

mokhron, Newbie
Posted: 16 June 2011 04:23 PM   Total Posts: 2

Hello alltogether,
//
I’m doing a racing game in third person perspective, so the camera is located right behind the racing vehicle. Unfortunatly the floor used to disappear as the vehicle drove over it. So I actived FrustumClipping, that solved this problem but created a new one. In my game wild boars come towards the player, so he has to dodge them. These boars are nicely animated MD2-models, but as soon as they come closer to the player their animation freezes. When I turn off FrustumClipping they animate fine, but the floor starts to disappear again.
So I tried NearfieldClipping and RectangleClipping as well, but the former one does freeze the animation as well, while the latter one makes the floor disappear, also.
//
So I was very happy when I came across this thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/away3d-dev/browse_thread/thread/eb03cea0c574c378/91015330c7e7500a?lnk=gst&q=clipping+animation#91015330c7e7500a

, where somebody else had the very same problem which was finally solved by Fabrices idea to massively scale up the models.
//
Unfortunately i had less luck. First I scaled the boar-model up to 1000% in my modeling software and then scaled it back down inside Away3D. This did not prevent FrustumClipping from freezing the animations. Next thing I tried is to scale up the boars inside my game, so they become bigger. That worked when they finally were five times as big as intended. They played their animation properly, but of course were far to big for my game. So I scaled up everything in the whole game, first by factor 5, then by 10, and finally by factor 100, so the boars ended up with a width of about 20.000. In every case their animation freezed, and also the floor still disappeared with FrustumClipping turned off.  So scaling up everything is of no use, the problems scale along with :( .
//
But maybe I only understood Fabrice wrong? Or I overlook something important? Perhaps there is a way to hack the FrustumClipping-Class to not affect animations? I tried, but I failed in understanding all the mathematics going on in there. Please help me, the project is almost finished.

mokhron, Newbie
Posted: 17 June 2011 08:42 PM   Total Posts: 2   [ # 1 ]

Damnit, I cannot find any solution :( . The bad thing is that I have to present the game to my clients on Tuesday. Everything else came out just fine, but it looks so much less attractive without animations, like stiff puppets in a ghost train.
Seemingly I have no choice but to try making DirectionalSprites out of my 3D-Models. I pray that at least these animate fine! I’d be so frustrated if not…

Jerome Maurey-Delaunay, Moderator
Posted: 21 June 2011 10:16 AM   Total Posts: 17   [ # 2 ]

Have you tried to increase the geometry on the floor? Doing so might be enough to remove frustrum clipping.

mokhron, Newbie
Posted: 21 June 2011 12:12 PM   Total Posts: 2   [ # 3 ]

Yeah, that worked. quarterFaces() on all the floors stopped them from disappearing too early. Also DirectionalSprites still animate when FrustumClipping is turned on AND turned out to look pretty good after all. So everything is allright now, with FrustumClipping and without. Thank you very much smile .

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X