Simple reflection in Away3d 3.6 ?

Software: Away3D 3.x

achim, Newbie
Posted: 16 June 2011 03:16 PM   Total Posts: 20

Hi,
as ReflectivePlane seems to be buggy (?), how would you do a simple reflection in Away3D?
Thanks !

achim, Newbie
Posted: 19 June 2011 02:01 PM   Total Posts: 20   [ # 1 ]

I have found the Mirror.as class in away3d.extrusions, but it is broomstick, not 3.6.
Do you think it could easily be “downgraded” to 3.6 ? I really need to target player 10.
Thanks !

Jerome Maurey-Delaunay, Moderator
Posted: 21 June 2011 10:01 AM   Total Posts: 17   [ # 2 ]

The Mirror class is for creating geometry, not reflections. Realtime reflections are quite complex. It usually involves creating views/cameras to capture the elements to reflect and then apply some shader magic to bake the reflection on the reflective surfaces at run-time.

Reflective materials included in Away3D use environment maps (images) to simulate reflection, but this is pretty limited.

With real-time 3D reflections and dynamic shadows will be a challenge and may have to be faked/baked ahead of time.

achim, Newbie
Posted: 21 June 2011 10:24 AM   Total Posts: 20   [ # 3 ]

Ok, thanks a lot for these informations. I guess mirroring is a tough stuff, especially if the mirroring surface is a complexe one.
In my case, I want to mirror a Histogram (basically, some Cubes piled up vertically), as if it was put on a flat glassy surface. So I bet the best I have to do is to duplicate my primitives and apply a simple symmetry and an alpha effect to them ? Or is it possible to duplicate the scene or the view ?
Thanks !

Jerome Maurey-Delaunay, Moderator
Posted: 21 June 2011 10:33 AM   Total Posts: 17   [ # 4 ]

You can have multiple views sharing the same scene.

achim, Newbie
Posted: 21 June 2011 11:05 AM   Total Posts: 20   [ # 5 ]

Thanks.
One weird thing is that when I set my _mirrorView.rotationX=180, it disappears ? It is well positioned, though, because if I do _mirrorView.rotationX+=1 in my rendering function, I can perfectly see it when it comes to 180 ?

achim, Newbie
Posted: 21 June 2011 01:05 PM   Total Posts: 20   [ # 6 ]

I have the same problem with rotationY. Is there an update that I should do after setting rotation ?

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X