Away3D and DirectX 9Ex support

Software: Away3D 4.x

Jack Dracon, Newbie
Posted: 19 September 2011 12:48 PM   Total Posts: 27

So, I have checked something weird with Away3D. I have tested a game developed (and still in development) with Away3d called DeltaStrike and I notice the game doesn’t had a successfully load in netbook with DirectX 9Ex.(a description of DirectX 9Ex: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee890072(v=vs.85).aspx)
I would like to know, if anyone else have the same problem, or that isn’t supported in Away3D (for while)?
Thanks for your attention and have a nice day. wink

Alexander Seifert, Moderator
Posted: 19 September 2011 03:36 PM   Total Posts: 129   [ # 1 ]

Hello Jack,

which version of Delta Strike did you try to run?
Did you simply browse to http://www.deltastrike.org and started the “Vanguard” Demo?

I am the lead developer of Delta Strike.

I just re-uploaded the “Vanguard” Demo. It was not compiled for the latest Flash 11 Release Candidate that you can currently download at the Adobe Labs page.
Now that this update has been done, could you try to run the demo again? Please make sure to clear your browser cache before, as this prevents *.swf files from unintentionally sticking around.

Looking forward to your reply!
Thanks,
Alex

Signature 
signature_image

http://www.deltastrike.org

Jack Dracon, Newbie
Posted: 19 September 2011 07:44 PM   Total Posts: 27   [ # 2 ]

Hi Alexander, how are you?
So, now works fine on netbook, congrats! (Maybe this is a bug, but in the desktop machine(WinXP), the movement of aircraft doesn’t work).
And how do you fixed this issue? Because I am having the same problem.
Thanks for your attention.

Choons, Sr. Member
Posted: 19 September 2011 07:52 PM   Total Posts: 281   [ # 3 ]

this thread brings up a point I have wondered about. If I understand it correctly, molehill will use DirectX 9 on Windows boxes and a subset of OpenGL ES on other systems? Anyone have a link to a spec that describes which features of each molehill is actually capable of using?

Alejandro Santander, Administrator
Posted: 19 September 2011 10:18 PM   Total Posts: 414   [ # 4 ]

I think that Adobe guarantees the same set of features for all platforms. Molehill has a common set of instructions and leverages the usage of DirectX or OpenGL depending on the platform it is running on. If a feature is supported in DirectX and not in OpenGL, it is likely not to be supported in FP11. For example, we can’t draw lines directly in Molehill (although you can undirectly via triangles) because many platforms that the FP is targetting do not support lines. This is Adobe’s philosophy of standardizing downwards and guaranteeing that your same code will work on a wide range of devices.

Is that what you meant?

Choons, Sr. Member
Posted: 19 September 2011 10:27 PM   Total Posts: 281   [ # 5 ]

yeah thanks, Alejandro, pretty much. Just as WebGL is a trimmed down version of OpenGL, I just wonder what the complete feature set is for FP 11 when using DirectX or OpenGL. What can it do, or not do from those frameworks? Its limitations I suppose. For instance, I’ve read several times that molehill should have capabilities similar to PlayStation 2. I’m curious how that conclusion was made and if it really is true

Alejandro Santander, Administrator
Posted: 19 September 2011 11:46 PM   Total Posts: 414   [ # 6 ]

Yes, that would be very interesting to know… Lets see what we can find out.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X