Rendering Error with Textures

Software: Away3D 4.x

davedev, Newbie
Posted: 09 January 2016 12:41 PM   Total Posts: 5

I have a user reporting black shadows on textures on Away3D objects. These objects render fine for me on my mac. See attached for examples. I think the user is on a Mac also, but am determining. It looks like the ambient, no specular portion of the texture is rendering black while the rest renders fine. Any ideas on cause or fix? Thanks

Fabrice Closier, Administrator
Posted: 10 January 2016 01:12 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 1 ]

It’s hard to say without being able to inspect the models, no infos about the materials/methods used.. It is clear that the artefacts on your picts are all occurring against a given plane, so I would first make sure that the objects have their pivot points at center object bound, and that the camera lens far value is set/tested properly on these devices. Many mobile devices do not like large lenses far values…

davedev, Newbie
Posted: 10 January 2016 01:55 PM   Total Posts: 5   [ # 2 ]

Thanks for your response. I’m still trying to find out more details about the display parameters though it is desktop, probably mac.

I’ll look into the far value. I’m pretty sure the objects pivot points is at the center of the objects.

The texture material code is straight-forward and as follows:

var textureMaterial:TextureMaterial;
textureMaterial = new TextureMaterial(Cast.bitmapTexture(textureClass));
textureMaterial.specularMap = Cast.bitmapTexture(Black);
textureMaterial.lightPicker = lightPicker;
textureMaterial.name=name;
textureMaterial.smooth=true;

Looking at it, a black image as spec map seems a little odd, but works ok on most other devices.

The lights are straight-forward too, Directional Lights with values of:

diffuse:0.5,ambient:0.1, direction:[0, 0, -1], shadows:false

One of the models and textures is attached.

I’ll report when I have more details about the platform/conig/device where the error occurs.

File Attachments
a3d.zip  (File Size: 94KB - Downloads: 222)

davedev, Newbie
Posted: 12 January 2016 04:05 PM   Total Posts: 5   [ # 3 ]

Turning off hardware acceleration seems to solve the problem! Ok solution for me because models aren’t complicated.

In our testing, an iMac 27” 2013 and Mac Book Pro 2009 don’t show the issue with acceleration on and off. However, a iMac 21” with Mac OS X 10.11.2 and Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB and a Windows 10 Desktop running IE both show the problem, rendering error with hardware acceleration and no error when turned off.

User reports the error occurs both when the model is close to the camera and when its in the center of the frame. The model starts close to the camera and then moves in z to “zoom out” so it sounds like a model surface issue rather than camera depth.

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X