Tiled texture on a plane

Software: Away3D 3.x

Tempy111, Sr. Member
Posted: 08 December 2015 02:10 PM   Total Posts: 133

I’m sure I read how to do this some place but I’m trying to tile a texture on a plane. I know it have to use the transformbitmap function BUT I’m not sure how to load a bitmap from file into the transformbitmap function..

probably something really simple i’m just missing

Fabrice Closier, Administrator
Posted: 08 December 2015 04:38 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 1 ]

You need scale uvs and set repeat to true using BitmapMaterial. For instance, muliply u and v values by 2 and you’ll get 4 times the image on the plane.

Why don’t you run 4.x ? With all the fuss done around the flash player and latest browsers update, only latest flash players are running. The very small group of users running older players on older os’s is smelting by the day…

Tempy111, Sr. Member
Posted: 08 December 2015 04:40 PM   Total Posts: 133   [ # 2 ]

I have CS4. which is Flash Player 10. I have no plans to upgrade any time soon, so since 4.0 uses Flash Player 11, I simply cannot use it ^_^

Posted: 08 December 2015 04:53 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 3 ]

?
Do you know you can compile using cs4 to latest swf version? You simply need to edit cs4 xml files and point to latest sdk.
plus, cs4 or any flash ide or animateCC or whatever they want rebadge it is ok for assets making.
For code you can use whatever ide, some are free too, and as you do not plan update, you can use notepad or textedit and compile using either console or terminal for free using latest free SDK. For AIR or flash player runtime.

in short:  you simply can use it ^_^ right now.

Tempy111, Sr. Member
Posted: 08 December 2015 04:56 PM   Total Posts: 133   [ # 4 ]

mmm… okay.. I only updated to CS4 last year ^_^; still haven’t got the hang of AS3.. I’ll look into that.. though It would probably mean.. having to update all the code I’ve already written or more, should be fine but I can improve? (do you completely remove old functions or just the standard ‘still supported but we recommend this new better way’).

oh and right now.. I think I got no clue how to update to flash player 18 or.. anything between 10 and that ^_^;

Posted: 08 December 2015 08:22 PM   Total Posts: 1265   [ # 5 ]

You’re late to the party….  So i’d say start fresh, forget cs4(its no longer 2006 in Cansas). download adobe air sdk 20.0, which was just released, or use the latest apache flex sdk if you do not use AIR (as3 is same as for player except it has more OS features) and manage to compile. you basically need to enter one single line in terminal/console. Moving from away 3.x to 4.x is not such problem, it’s confusing at first but pain softens once you see how everything runs and looks good smile  from there, once you’ll be set, you can program in dedicated ide’s, I use SublimeText, some use Intellijdea, flash develop etc…
cs4 will be on your disk for the assets if you need some ui sometimes.
Once familiar, if you need to publish in browsers or native (js/html5, android, win, mac…), engine syntax from away4 is similar in awayOpenFL and awayTS.

Tempy111, Sr. Member
Posted: 08 December 2015 08:46 PM   Total Posts: 133   [ # 6 ]

mmm… I’m an old fashion guy, I was using MX for some time, and 4 before that.. personally, I don’t know if I currently have the time to direct too much attention to such a change…

2006 still sounds like the future to me.. 80s and 90s were more my thing, pushing systems to the limits to a systems ability and creating what was once seen as impossible..

I’ll probably either keep using 3.6 or figure out the Flash 11 update (or anything newer).. the mxp moans I can’t install without Flash player 11 or higher which I have, yet CS4 now claims I do have 11, but compiling problems with 11 features.. there was someone a few years back on here with simpler if not the same issues but they gave up in the end.. I’m rarely someone that does that.. ^_^ thanks though.

Tempy111, Sr. Member
Posted: 10 December 2015 10:02 AM   Total Posts: 133   [ # 7 ]

interesting.. I set up FP11 for CS4.. seams to be okay.. I tried the example code to test which is on this forum.

It seamed to have a slight mistake.. I typed in the code:

import flash.display.Stage3D;
var 
Stage3D stage.stage3DS[0]

and got back:

1119Access of possibly undefined property stage3DS through a reference with static type flash.display:Stage.
Source: var Stage3D stage.stage3DS[0]

which is what the other person got I think.. At suggested on someone else, I changed it to stage3Ds[0] and no more error.

of course, that code did pretty much nothing so I couldn’t see if I had worked or not ^_^:

decided to try the basic plane render from the tutorial, edited a bit to deal with issues (basically removing embedding files as I’m pretty sure Embed doesn’t work for something like this).. anyway.. the problem is now a bunch of syntax errors for the RTTBufferManager.as file.

1084Syntax errorexpecting identifier before rightbrace.
1100Syntax errorXML does not have matching begin and end tags.
1084Syntax errorexpecting rightparen before end of program

there is 9 errors in total, but it does create a swf, just blank of course.

the 9 errors are just them 3 repeated a few times.. To me, this sounds like FP11 isn’t set up right.. BUT if it wasn’t set up right, then the stage3d reference would have failed..

Ho hum ^_^

Tempy111, Sr. Member
Posted: 10 December 2015 07:30 PM   Total Posts: 133   [ # 8 ]

okay.. i’m not 50% sure CS4 can’t be updated.. yet some say it can.. so i’m confused a bit but oh well.. for now, I see no reason not to stick with 3.6 ^_^;

X

Away3D Forum

Member Login

Username

Password

Remember_me

X